Preparing for my baby sulcata!!!*PIX*

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Ok so by now I know dirt aka choir is best suitable. And to keep humidity up is key! And which bulb to use and not to use.... I'm using a zoo med mercury vapor bulb. And a 10gl. Here's some pix lemme kno how it looks!!! AND IM GETTING FROM A REPUTABLE BREEDER! AZ sulcatas!
My lamps help up by clips.... VERY SECURELY!!! If any problem arises I will change this method.... Just set it up, so it's not humidified or has food or water area yet.... So it's in the beta stages LOL! And I will be using my exoterra mister with this baby to keep her humidity up! I MEAN BIDNESS! Hah! ;) :)

image-1052386613.png

image-2243907179.png

image-4196724461.png

image-2484897399.png

Attachments

• image-398340308.png
    image-398340308.png
    809.1 KB · Views: 153

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Is there any way you can get a bigger enclosure? A 10 gallon is just too small, and it will be way too hot inside it with a MVB heating it up. The minimum size enclosure I would use for a baby sulcata is a 20 gallon, but even then he/she will outgrow it in a matter of months.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Yeah cause once you put in a hide, a water dish, a food dish, and any decorations there's going to be no room for your baby :( you def have the right idea tho! Good job!

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Eweezyfosheezy said:
Is there any way you can get a bigger enclosure? A 10 gallon is just too small, and it will be way too hot inside it with a MVB heating it up. The minimum size enclosure I would use for a baby sulcata is a 20 gallon, but even then he/she will outgrow it in a matter of months.

Well NOW it's time for a panic attack!!! DX
I read that a 10gl is fine and a mercury bulb is fine as well in the same enclosure.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Have you had the lights on and monitored all 4 of your temps? I don't know if you will get the 3 different day time temps in that thing or if it will get too hot or what... Give it a try but that baby will def outgrow it in a couple months if that, so why not start big? Lol

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
jfulcher said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Well NOW it's time for a panic attack!!! DX
I read that a 10gl is fine and a mercury bulb is fine as well in the same enclosure.
The problem with a 10 gallon is that the tortoise will be under the heat lamp at all times (except at night), and that's just a recipe for disaster. A sulcata needs a basking temp around 100 degrees, and it also needs a cool side in its enclosure around 80-85 degrees which is just impossible to do with a 10 gallon.

Rutagonzo

5 Year Member
You get get bigger enclosures for less than you can get at pet stores. Consider a big storage tote! It's cheap, sturdy, and water-proof!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You could also try craigslist. I got my 3x3 vivarium for 60$ I turned it into a 2 story enclosure.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
sorry, but I agree that the 10gal and how it is set up will not work for you.

you may have read that a 10gal with a MVB was ok, but you can also read its fine to put a sully on alfalfa pellets and we know that is incorrect.

please get a bigger set up and have all you temperatures set up (basking temp, warm side, cool side, night time) before bringing home the baby.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's great that you are here ahead of time and striving for perfection. We would all love to help you with that.

You NEED a bigger enclosure. Even a hundred gallon enclosure is not likely to last a full year for a baby sulcata. When they are healthy and started well, as yours from Austin will be, they grow fast. You will also need some night heat. Got a CHE and a thermostat to control it with? They can NOT get cool at night with humidity. The whole enclosure needs to stay around 80 day and night, with your 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day. In Tuscon your weather is so perfect most of the year you really don't need artificial UV bulbs. Just get your hatchling out for some sun in a safe enclosure for an hour or two a few times a week.

Click the links in my signature. Lots of sulcata info there.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and Welcome :) you have come to the right place! There are a lot of us on here who have sullies and love them to death :) Follow the wonderful advice that has been given so far, and you will have a beautiful and healthy baby :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id go with a soil type substrate as well and not the wood chips in the picture with your leopard..
Don't panic... just make a few changes....

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Wood chips have long since been put in the snake tank. im attempting to get a larger tank right now.Im also in the process of building a dual enclosure for outside. I dont intend on either Violet or the yet to be named sullie to be inside pets forever! Lord know what sort of trouble a 100-200lbs sully would get into inside!!! SO I am running like a chicken with my head cut off a little LOL!!!

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Ok! Found a large storage tote! Cut a hole out for the lamp! Put the clips where the metal clip part will hold the lamp firmly in place, put PLENTY of ventilation holes in the lid! There's going to be screen windows eventually! Wetted down the substrate(coco choir). My last bit. Put a decoration in there. And placed the lamp on it to make sure everything looked good and she would have a cool side, she does. Austin said the 10gl would have been fine for a temp place for it till I got a larger enclosure. But wtvr it's done. I'm pretty sure this enclosure will be fine for it for a little while. I feed my kids well, and take good care of them! All will be well!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Nicely done :) so what do you have for temps? :)

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Chainsawkitten said:
Nicely done :) so what do you have for temps? :)

Well it was night time and had the fan blowing on me, and I swapped the bulb out from a 100 watt to a 75 watt ballasted. So it was reading around 85-90 thereabouts where I pointed my laser. Where the lamp glowed brightest. And it stayed about 70-73 when I turned it off. It's getting WARMER here now! And with the bulb on the cool side was about 70-75. Mind you this was at 2am. So, I'm betting it'll be just about right when the time comes.... Trying to trade/sell my cricket phone for some soil and grass seed... For the enclosure outside.... We ended up taking the Leo to the vet, just for him to tell us, "just some good ol fashioned sunshine and greens as well as love and the care we've been giving her is all she needs... And he had the nerve to charge us $400 for the visit.... :(
Oh well she's happy and eating and eyes and nose are clear. Just needs a friggen leash LOL!!! She runs wild outside! Now I'm going to have two kids to chase!!!

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I went a little artsy fartsy with her enclosure when I found a cracked hut at the feed and supply store.... LOL!!! You all are going to crack up at me! AND DON'T WORRY THIS STUFF WON'T CHIP OFF AND SHE CAN'T EAT IT OFF!!!
First! Pics of my bargain hut then the artsy fartsy crud I did to her enclosure! XD
I PAINTED EVERYTHING GLOW IN THE DARK!!!!! I had lilac, green, and orange!!! XD
^__^ I'm SOOO silly!!! Even gave her STARS!!!

image-1583830649.png

image-801245588.png

image-363843742.png

image-1802186496.png

image-1594356264.png

image-3248061226.png

image-2378364257.png

image-3130830235.png

image-2427595513.png

argus333

5 Year Member
ya tubs are way better and cheeper. lights on plastic top? yikes...

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
argus333 said:
ya tubs are way better and cheeper. lights on plastic top? yikes...

It's not ON the plastic, it's about 2 1/2" away and held away and up by the metal part of the clips. If I see any, and I mean ANY issue arise!!! I'm pulling the plug and redoing the light fixture!!! I actually just got done taking pix of the lights setup, and her setup since the paint has dried more. It's going to be awesome!!! I made a REALLY shallow water dish/wading pool for her!!! That sits just to the left of the light just enough to get heated by the lamp.... And a teeny tiny food bowl for her as well!... Need to find a salad plate for her tho... o_O I'm nesting.... Its like I'm going to be a new mommy all over again!!! I haven't done this since I had my son!!! LOL!!!

Here's some in depth pix: how the lamp fixture is held up, top and bottom view, ventilation holes, and the interior... Already getting it moistened!!!

image-294100347.png

image-1338281054.png

image-2968749588.png

image-1259951639.png

image-4219718418.png

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi jflucher. I'm so glad that you want the very best for your baby. And, all your attempts show that. You still have a little time to make some adjustments. Now that you have a larger tote (50-60 gal), you need to get a temp gun so that you can check what those temps will BEFORE your baby comes home. When you have the uvb on, it should be pointed directly down so that it hits one spot directly below it. Those bulbs is not recommended to be place at a slant. The life of the bulb will be compromised, and it may even blow out. I also noticed that your lamp does not have a ceramic socket. Even if the lamp states it can hold a 100w bulb, the brown plastic socket in the picture can cause a fire because the heat of the MVB can melt that plastic. Please have that changed asap. Make sure the 4 temps are achieved in the enclosure. If the heat from the bulb gets too hot, you may need to raise the lamp higher. The lights such always be shut off at night, and a heat emitter should provide night heat. I see you got a mister, and that's fine so long as you maintain humidity at 80%. If you find you're having trouble keeping humidity up, get a fogger and a thermostat control that can shut off the fogger when the humidity reaches 80%. In my opinion, it's the surest way to maintain constant 80% humidity so that the baby doesn't dehydrate and the shell grows smooth and healthy. Keep us posted.

Sorry, I wrote this before I was able to see how your bulb was positioned. All looks great for now. The enclosure size and food, water dishes should last about 2-3 months. Then, you'll need to graduate her to a really large tote, like the ones for storing Christmas trees. Same setup will work. Oh, and where is the CHE for night heat? Temps should never get below 80 degrees at all times, day or night.

Status
Not open for further replies.