Prepping for Sulcata Texas Winter Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone! I have recently jumped into the world of Sulcatas and have 4 smaller ones (biggest about 10 inches) and I just took in a big 35 pound male. I live in North texas and am preparing for cooler temps. The smaller ones I am good with, I am prepping an insulated house for them but the bigger boy is a concern. So i have an idea. I have a large wooden play structure that has an open bottom. I am thinking about sealing it in with ply wood on the outside, insulation panels on the inside and cutting a "door" in the wood and installing UVB and CHE bulbs inside of it. Do you think this could work? Should I raise the floor or can he sleep on the ground? I think we are a few months away from really cool temps but want to be prepared. Bad idea or good?

Attachments

• IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    886.7 KB · Views: 54

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I think it may be too small for him, as you close in the walls and insulate it, there wont be much room left. If you can extend it out some that would work a lot better. You want enough space so that he can get away from the heat sorce if he chooses to.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
dalano73 said:
I think it may be too small for him, as you close in the walls and insulate it, there wont be much room left. If you can extend it out some that would work a lot better. You want enough space so that he can get away from the heat sorce if he chooses to.

Good to know. What do you use for a winter set up in Arlington?

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
My two cents says to raise the floor of whatever outdoor enclosure you put him in. This drought may be kicking our butts right now, but when we start getting that cold, icy rain, he'll appreciate it. Now I'm going to hustle over to your other thread and look for pics of this new guy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whatever you do, having a dry insulated floor under him will be a good thing. I recently discovered they they will still dig inside a shelter even if temps and conditions are good. So a floor will keep him MUCH warmer and avoid any digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.