Presentation at an elementary school

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
I've been asked by a local elementary school to do a presentation on tortoises....

One of the teachers followers me on FB and had her kids picking dandelions and other weeds from a safe field over the last few weeks and she asked if I'd come in with one or more of my torts and give a short talk.

My plan is to bring in a couple of my torts, a Russian or two (Chili & Persephone) and the Redfoot and the Hingeback, set them up in small fenced enclosures on the grass and talk about them with small groups of the kids for a bit, answer questions, and let some of the kids hold or touch the torts.

What things would you be sure to include, or skip, if you were me?

Thanks,

Jamie

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I think you should explain that the shell is actually the rib cage, and that for whatever reason during evolution, the spine moved inside the rib cage and the shell came about.

Or, that might be too much for elementary school kids. To me, it's the most bizarre and interesting thing about turtles and tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used to bring an empty shell when I made the presentations.

Take hand wipes so the kids can get used to the idea of cleaning their hands and not transferring germs between the species.

Take a roll of paper towels because one or all of the tortoise are going to poop and pee.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I find that children are fascinated by the similarities between tortoises and humans - the fact that they have red blood, pink tongues -that they can yawn and sneeze ( and indeed fart- that usually gets remembered !). Also take some favourite food for each tortoise , so they can watch them eat.
Angie

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you have them all on display at the same time some students will be looking at different tortoises as you speak about one specific tortoise. So I would bring them in containers and only bring one out at a time. This way they will listen and learn more about each one. Information should include what part of the world they are from, natural diet, adult size and anything that will keep their interest. As you speak let them ask questions, you may be surprised from what questions you get.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I've been asked by a local elementary school to do a presentation on tortoises....

One of the teachers followers me on FB and had her kids picking dandelions and other weeds from a safe field over the last few weeks and she asked if I'd come in with one or more of my torts and give a short talk.

My plan is to bring in a couple of my torts, a Russian or two (Chili & Persephone) and the Redfoot and the Hingeback, set them up in small fenced enclosures on the grass and talk about them with small groups of the kids for a bit, answer questions, and let some of the kids hold or touch the torts.

Thanks,

Jamie
What a cool opportunity for you and the kids! I think it would be good to talk about the differences between turtles and tortoises. I get asked this question ALL the time and people are always so fascinated. I think it would also be good to talk about what to do if you find a tortoise on the road, in a park, etc.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It depends how long you have but I would cover the fact that they are reptiles, so cold blooded, need heat to move, digest food etc. The main parts of the tortoise (if you google 'label the tortoise' you'll find some good kids worksheets - some more detailed than others), What they eat and drink and that they dig holes to lay eggs. The kids will be interested to know that torts 'turtles were around at time of dinosaurs and how long they can live; where they live in the wild and briefly what they need as pets (I bet there'll be some asking moms and dads for torts when they get home!) How they like soaks but can't swim (difference between tort and turtle). Different species and sizes - maybe take some pics of different species and also hatchlings. Let the kids ask questions - check with the teacher how detailed s/he wants you to be if they want to know how you tell if they are boys or girls :). The kids will have lots of questions and I'm sure the teacher will do some prompting too.
Good luck!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Thanks,

Jamie
I would include something about box turtles, or any turtle for that matter, and how they have areas they live and that they shouldn't be removed from that area. Why removing one adult could harm the whole population, etc. Plant the seeds of conservation while they're young.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Thanks,

Jamie
With my grandchildren I didn't really let them hold my Russian. But we would sit and watch and pet him a bit. I always have the kids sit quietly while we interact because it's really exciting for children to be around those kinds of animals. I also explained why to them first. That to much activity scares the little ones and it's like being towered over by a big scary monster. I hope you have a wonderful time.? It's great for the kids to relate to something smaller than them up close.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Jamie,
You might also mention how some species are threatened, due to habitat loss, & environmental concerns. Like the Turtles ? down in Texas that got stranded in that cold snap that hit the state several months ago.
Wow, ? you are lucky to have such a fantastic opportunity to do outreach on behalf of our beloved kids.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you plan on placing the tortoises on the grass, please find out a head of time from the "grounds keeper" if the grass has been sprayed with Round Up. The first big win against Monsanto was a "public school grounds keeper" who developed Lymphoma from the Round Up he used on the all the play grounds. Round Up is still used regularly. Above all have fun!!!

KT1

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Skokie
Maybe talk about the fact that they are born from eggs.
Also, explain the scutes. I am not sure many people know their name.
something else you could do, but it might take a little more effort, is show the different sizes the tort goes through. for example, a quarter may represent the tort at birth, a

jar lid a juvenile, and you were taught as the adult. That may require more work then you want to do, LOL!
I also think color photos of different kinds of torts may be fascinating to the kids. Most adults don’t even know the beautiful ranges of colors and patterns torts come in.
Have fun!

DoubleD1996!

Memphis

Thanks,

Jamie
Explain that the shell isn't actually armor, nor can the turtle leave it's shell. Also that the turtles can feel their shells. And mosquito can fit there proboscis between the scoots and suck blood.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
So many great suggestions!

Sometimes, as adults, we want to quickly give children the gift of knowledge. We want to tell them everything we know because it is important and fascinating. My father, an amazing teacher, told me, “When you want to make a statement to a child, instead , ask a question. The first action may end a conversation, but the second insures it will continue.” I was a Montessori teacher for 6-9 year olds for 22 years. Every time I gave the Parts of the Tortoise lesson, I brought in Pasha, my Russian tortoise. The only thing you absolutely need to do, is leave them wanting to know more. Encourage questions and then at some point respond to questions by saying, “What a fabulous thing to research. I can’t wait to hear what you find!” Make sure you leave them with some way to contact you. They will definitely continue the conversation.

Jan A

Boulder, CO

Sometimes, as adults, we want to quickly give children the gift of knowledge. We want to tell them everything we know because it is important and fascinating. My father, an amazing teacher, told me, “When you want to make a statement to a child, instead , ask a question. The first action may end a conversation, but the second insures it will continue.” I was a Montessori teacher for 6-9 year olds for 22 years. Every time I gave the Parts of the Tortoise lesson, I brought in Pasha, my Russian tortoise. The only thing you absolutely need to do, is leave them wanting to know more. Encourage questions and then at some point respond to questions by saying, “What a fabulous thing to research. I can’t wait to hear what you find!” Make sure you leave them with some way to contact you. They will definitely continue the conversation.
If only we could clone you, Mrs. Jennifer!! Thanks for what you did/do brilliantly!!

Jamie, just talk to them like you write. They will be immensely interested.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

So true. I've watched them shut down if they can't get a word in edgewise.?

cherplunka

Earth
I give presentations to kids most weeks. —about coding, not tortoises. But, I totally agree. Ask them the all the questions! Like do they think tortoises have spines? How long do they think tortoises live?
How long ago was the first tortoise hatched?

Be prepared to answer your own as needed, but it’ll be way more enjoyable for you and them than feeling like a talking head.