Problem with baby sulcata

Lisette Haddad

[QUOTE="Lisette Haddad, post: 1023588, member: 53305"
If temperatures are not supposed to drop below 80F, then that is a huge problem.

Easy problem to solve. Just get a ceramic heating element and a thermostat.

You'll see it in the care sheets later...[/QUOTE]
Tom, I am about to buy the ceramic heating element.
Question.
How many watts?
Habitat is 40 gallon.
Exo terra works fine?
Thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

You'll see it in the care sheets later...
Question.
How many watts?
Habitat is 40 gallon.
Exo terra works fine?
Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

In most cases a 100 watt will work, but you'll have to measure the temperature in your enclosure to be sure. You could always go with a 150 since it will be controlled by a thermostat and cannot over heat the enclosure. I don't have experience with the ExoTerra brand, but the ZooMed ones work just fine.

Lisette Haddad

Question.
How many watts?
Habitat is 40 gallon.
Exo terra works fine?
Thanks in advance

In most cases a 100 watt will work, but you'll have to measure the temperature in your enclosure to be sure. You could always go with a 150 since it will be controlled by a thermostat and cannot over heat the enclosure. I don't have experience with the ExoTerra brand, but the ZooMed ones work just fine.[/QUOTE]

Good morning!
I ordered a ceramic 100watt on amazon Last night. It will be here tonight. Also a digital thermometer.

So here is what I found this morning.
I changed her water last night and alsp provided an enourmous amount of fresh greens, just in case she got super hungry lol
This morning, the water bowl was completely empty! and what I think is poop in there.
I hopa this is good news.
I don't know if the turtle ate because like I said, I over reacted with the amount of greens.
But I do find it very strange that the water pool is empty. I am 110% sure I cleaned it last night and added water to the top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is probably porous and leaking out. It the substrate around the bowl getting wetter and wetter over time?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Tell me please: does what you mentioned as far as "white poop" is concerned, apply on Greek torts? I live in Jordan. The climate is extremely dry, and....we have those freezing cold Winter days and boiling hot Summer ones, no Spring no Autumn..to bad!
Appreciate an answer, thank you.
The white poop is, I am assuming, urates. Their consistency is an indicator of internal hydration and hence digestive system health. I have never keep Greeks, but it is my understanding that all species produce and eliminate urates. There is a thread on the Forum that explains the process (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-tortoise-pooped-out-some-white-stuff.14782/) and another thread where members have shared their experiences and knowledge (http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...-stuff-discussion.63810/?highlight=discussion). Perhaps you would get a better answer by reading through these.

Lisette Haddad

It is probably porous and leaking out. It the substrate around the bowl getting wetter and wetter over time?
I changed the substrate last night. And the one that was before this one was completely dry. The pool has never been empty before.
Also, if that was poop, it was really hard poop. I am not sure if that is normal.
I don't know what else it could have been.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I wanted to mention that your UVB (probably the long tube light you have) needs to be changed every 6 months as it loses its ability to emit the necessary amount of UV.

Also, is your water dish directly below your heat lamp? It could have dried out. This happened to me before, and you do not want your tortoise to go without water. The poop probably dried out as well.

And be careful with the humidity when your temperatures are at 70, as this will just make your baby colder. I'm glad you will be getting the CHE, it will heat everything right up :)

Morlas Mama

NW Indiana
I can not say this enough...follow those links Tom gave you. Every piece of information you are seeking is in them. I "inherited" a sulcata baby knowing NOTHING about the species. The information available to you on the internet is so vast and conflicting it can be overwhelming. My baby was also not eating much and severely dehydrated when I received her. All this caused her to be lethargic just like yours. You are taking all the right steps by coming here and seeking guidance. These tort vets know their stuff!

Follow the links...follow the links....follow the links! Those care sheets Tom created saved my baby from almost dying.

Lisette Haddad

I wanted to mention that your UVB (probably the long tube light you have) needs to be changed every 6 months as it loses its ability to emit the necessary amount of UV.

Also, is your water dish directly below your heat lamp? It could have dried out. This happened to me before, and you do not want your tortoise to go without water. The poop probably dried out as well.

And be careful with the humidity when your temperatures are at 70, as this will just make your baby colder. I'm glad you will be getting the CHE, it will heat everything right up :)
That makes a lot of sense.
The red light was directly above the water.
I can't wait to get the CHE.
I am sure that little one can't wait either .
Thanks!

Lisette Haddad

I can not say this enough...follow those links Tom gave you. Every piece of information you are seeking is in them. I "inherited" a sulcata baby knowing NOTHING about the species. The information available to you on the internet is so vast and conflicting it can be overwhelming. My baby was also not eating much and severely dehydrated when I received her. All this caused her to be lethargic just like yours. You are taking all the right steps by coming here and seeking guidance. These tort vets know their stuff!

Follow the links...follow the links....follow the links! Those care sheets Tom created saved my baby from almost dying.
I read a lot last night and the last couples of days, I deel my eyes are going to pop out.
I keep having dreams about this turtle and I can't sleep very well.
It is my kids first pet. They are so excited and I am so nervous because I knew since day 1 that something was not right.
Those people at the reptile expo lied to us and they only wanted to sell .
They sold us a tank full of things that are not good for the turtle. And a turtle that was probably already dehydrated and sick.

I will keep on reading, I want our lil one to be healthy and happy.
Thank you all soooo much!

Lisette Haddad

You'll see it in the care sheets later...
Question.
How many watts?
Habitat is 40 gallon.
Exo terra works fine?
Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Tom,
I got the CHE last night and a new thermometer. The temperature did not go over 76F.
I read the thread about closed chambers. And It is not easy for me to just build one. I read that..Yvonne, I might be mistaken suggested foil to close the habitat. So at 11pm I was there.. Wrapping the top cover with foil paper.

Temp did go up to 86F but I could not turn off the red light or temp went down again.

This morning, I turned off the red light and on the UVB. Left the CHE on. And temp is at 82F under the CHE where the turtle is sleeping.
Maybe I should try 150watt?
Humidity is at 60 right now, it was 80 this morning at 6am

I cut grass yesterday afternoon, rose leafs, dandelions, and I don't think the turtle has ate.
Right now she is taking a warm bath under the CHE.
That remains at 82.3F
I have not seen poop or pee.
And this lil one mostly sleeps
I took her outside yesterday afternoon to get some sun. It was nice and warm. And she just took a few steps and feel back asleep.
I am offering some fresh greens after her bath again.
Maybe I should try 150W. I just don't want to cook a turtle .