Pulverize Bermuda Hay for Hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just picked up a flake of Bermuda Hay for my DT's. I'm sharing some with my Daughter for her Hatchling Sulcata's. Since Hatchlings rarely will eat grass hays, I thought I'd pulverize a couple of hand fulls. I thought my food processer would work, but it didn't get it as small of flakes as I was hoping for. The motor was heating up on the food processor, so I stopped. I want dry small flake almost powder like results so that she can sprinkle it on their greens and they'll be getting their fiber and grass hay nutrients. IF any of you have your methods of getting it pulverized to flakes, I'll appreciate your tips and tricks. Otherwise I'll soak some and try to get a paste out of it, then make them into hay blocks or marble sized balls. Mazuri will be ordered tomorrow. Am I over doing it? LOL, they may just surprise us and eat the hay without us even messing with it. We'll see.

Meanwhile the Sulcata hatchlings are doing great, eating well and very active. My Daughter calls with their good progress reports every night. So far so good! My boxie hatchlings are looking great and doing well, although they burrow in and I don't see much of them except to sun and soak them daily. They are bright eyed and looking good. I can't get them to eat when I'm watching, but we're still working on that. I think they must have snagged a baby cricket or two and maybe some of the tiny meal worms. Hopefully, I'll see them eat soon (they are 2 weeks old now).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I just hold a clump of grass hay in one hand and finely chop it with scissors in the others. It makes the pieces small enough that they can't eat around it. Rehydrating it often helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.