Purchase Burmese Star Male

Figster45

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Curious if anyone has any yearling Burmese Stars that were incubated for male for sale or any juvenile/young adults that can visually be determined as male. I was planning to buy from Tortoise Town but reading some of the reviews has me unsure if that is my best option, so I wanted to see what my options were on here.

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Curious if anyone has any yearling Burmese Stars that were incubated for male for sale or any juvenile/young adults that can visually be determined as male. I was planning to buy from Tortoise Town but reading some of the reviews has me unsure if that is my best option, so I wanted to see what my options were on here.

Thanks!
No one knows the temperatures for incubating for male or female for this species. Anyone selling you "incubated for male" is either ignorant or intentionally misleading you. Sulcatas are the only species that have been studied under lab conditions where the actual temperatures that produce male or female babies is known.

You made the right call avoiding that seller based on reviews I have seen here.

I have 3 dozen babies that are about 90 days old now and ready to go. I incubate at a constant 88 degrees and have unusually high hatch rates.

Anecdotally, several of us that breed them have noticed that males tend to grow faster and be more boisterous right out of the egg. Females catch up and pass them in growth rate and size at somewhere around 2 year old. This is a guess at best, but it has proven fairly reliable.

I'd be happy to send you one, or a group.
 IMG_8616 3:23:19.JPG
4:19 2.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anyone selling you "incubated for male" is either ignorant or intentionally misleading you.
I should add that @Markw84 has been working on this extensively for several years and is neither ignorant nor intentionally misleading you. He has made progress, but he is the ONLY breeder I know of that has done any of this, and I don't know how close to being 100% on this he is yet. He will explain further.

Figster45

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
No one knows the temperatures for incubating for male or female for this species. Anyone selling you "incubated for male" is either ignorant or intentionally misleading you. Sulcatas are the only species that have been studied under lab conditions where the actual temperatures that produce male or female babies is known.

You made the right call avoiding that seller based on reviews I have seen here.

I have 3 dozen babies that are about 90 days old now and ready to go. I incubate at a constant 88 degrees and have unusually high hatch rates.

Anecdotally, several of us that breed them have noticed that males tend to grow faster and be more boisterous right out of the egg. Females catch up and pass them in growth rate and size at somewhere around 2 year old. This is a guess at best, but it has proven fairly reliable.

I'd be happy to send you one, or a group.
View attachment 372873
View attachment 372874

Wow they're just beautiful! I'm very interested in purchasing one. I am re-homing a different tortoise some time around July 6 so I will have to wait until then to have it sent. Can I ask what you charge?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow they're just beautiful! I'm very interested in purchasing one. I am re-homing a different tortoise some time around July 6 so I will have to wait until then to have it sent. Can I ask what you charge?
A MILLION dollars... J/k. 😁 PM sent.

More info here:

Care info here: