Pyramiding help

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Also is one and a half years of age really a baby

I’d call it a baby, just not a hatchling. I wouldn’t trust the hydrometer if it’s really telling you that the tank is at 80%. 80% humidity makes the glass foggy, the tortoises shell wet, and much darker substrate. I would say that by the picture, your humidity is more like 20-30.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Regardless of the hygrometer you are using and the age of your sulcata, it is pyramiding. It is caused by growth in too dry of conditions. The usual means of combating this is to increase the humidity. Don't expect immediate results. It could take months before you see satisfactory results.

Bambam1989

East Texas
If you are able to correct the cause (not enough humidity) now then once your tort is larger it will not be very noticeable.

Benjtort

Texas
The only reason the hydrometer is not in there all the time is because it did not come with a mount

Baatiha

My vet actually told me that the pyramiding is caused by lack of hay in their diet and not humidity. You can go to a normal pet store and get Timothy hay - guine pig hay which is what they eat.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My vet actually told me that the pyramiding is caused by lack of hay in their diet and not humidity. You can go to a normal pet store and get Timothy hay - guine pig hay which is what they eat.

I think you need a new vet.
Pyramiding is absolutely not caused by diet, but low humidity. Also, sulcata tortoises generally won’t eat hay until they are around 10 inches long, because it is much too tough for a young tortoise to chew.

Benjtort

Texas
Mbd is caused by there diet and uvb you may of got pyramiding confused with this

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Your vet is giving you old, incorrect, out-dated info.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry.

Dry hay is difficult for them to eat until they get some size on them, and timothy is my least favorite of the hays to give to adults. Orchard grass hay or bermuda grass hay is much better. Here is a feeding sheet for you to read and learn from:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please invite your vet to come here and learn from veteran tortoise keepers who have been actively researching and experimenting with this subject for decades. One of the key elements of eliminating this old wrong info is to stop perceived "experts" like vets and breeders from continually parroting it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your vet is totally wrong. So many vets just don't know. Too bad they spout incorrect information.