Pyramiding information please

Amyfranklin20

5 Year Member
Hi all, I'm after a little advice, this is Ernie the hermann , 3 years old. I've looked so much into tortoise care that it's crazy. But I'm concerned of the start to pyramiding on Ernie, now I've looked at a lot of photos and it seems that it may just be because he is getting bigger but I'm still concerned.
Some advice would be great. Here is some info on his care...
He is in an open top run with a soil and sand substrate.
His heat lamp and uv lamp are on 12 hours a day.
I feed him once a day, an amount the size of his shell if not slightly less.
He has a range of foods, chicory, occasional romaine, red cos lettuce, occasional carrot, pak choi and he loves cucumber too.
I sprinkle his food with Calcium+D3 and multivitamin around twice a week.
He also has access to cattle fish.
At the same time as feeding I top up his water bowl and spray him, and his run with water for humidity.
He also has baths which he isn't atall interested in as you can see in the photo!
He hasn't been hibernated yet as I've heard there's more risk the younger they are, this will be considered next year.
His run is big so he gets lots of exercise! As well as coming out when it's warm enough.

I hope I've added enough info for you to get an idea of ernies life and care!
Some advice would be fab, and if you notice any form or pyramiding beginning please tell me how to stop any further and advice on his care!!!
Thankyou!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Your tortoise is very cute! And a beautiful carapace indeed!! I'm not familiar with this species, but someone will chime in soon. Did you check out care sheets for Hermans tortoises on the forum? How about a picture of his setup? Many Hermans keepers can help you by seeing his home :)

tobyandlydia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
I think i have the same problem. :( Apparently humidity and setup are important but i still don't understand very much. I need help, too!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Yes, he is slightly pyramiding. Humidity is extreamly important for a smooth shell. Do you have a humid hide ? Fill a plastic tote, with an opening big enough for him to get in and out, with moss and keep it damp and warm. He will hide in it and this will help.
Your diet can use a bit of help too. Try broad base weeds. Dandelion, mallow, mulberry leaves, grape vine leaves, hibiscus leaves, thistle etc. Here is a site to help:
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp