DSCN4538.jpg

DSCN4537.jpg

DSCN4536.jpg

DSCN4535.jpg

byles01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
looks perfect to me, id say you have nothing to worry about there, make sure that little guy eats right has plenty of uva/uvb light, i recomend a good mercury bulb, change them out every 6 months, and a good clean source of water. what you see there apears to be normal growth.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
The pyramiding pattern started. Be sure to get him plenty of water, splash his shell when you soak him. A humid hide would help as well.

yarok

5 Year Member
I give him baths and i spray and he has a humid hide. I dont get it...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
How long have you had him?

yarok

5 Year Member
I got him at the end of February. They he said he hatched in august 2011. Is that pyramiding or normal?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Neal said:
The pyramiding pattern started. Be sure to get him plenty of water, splash his shell when you soak him. A humid hide would help as well.

:)

yarok

5 Year Member
I already have and do all of those things. Will this affect his appearance and growth when he gets bigger?

ALDABRAMAN said:
Neal said:

:)

Oh man, that really sucks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks like he started to pyramid before you got him, but the new growth is looking good. Looks to me like you have already stopped it.

Most breeders and sellers start them too dry and they can form the pattern for pyramiding in those first few weeks. The worse it is, the harder it is to stop. Looks like your was barely starting and that you've already stopped it. As he gets bigger, it will disappear entirely... You will have a fine looking adult.

In your pic, your substrate looks dry and I don't see a water bowl or humid hide. Theses three things are all keys to stopping and preventing pyramiding, as well as the daily soaks, sunning, good diet, calcium supplementation and exercise.

yarok

5 Year Member
Tom said:
It looks like he started to pyramid before you got him, but the new growth is looking good. Looks to me like you have already stopped it.

Most breeders and sellers start them too dry and they can form the pattern for pyramiding in those first few weeks. The worse it is, the harder it is to stop. Looks like your was barely starting and that you've already stopped it. As he gets bigger, it will disappear entirely... You will have a fine looking adult.

In your pic, your substrate looks dry and I don't see a water bowl or humid hide. Theses three things are all keys to stopping and preventing pyramiding, as well as the daily soaks, sunning, good diet, calcium supplementation and exercise.

Thanks. Thats just the surface of the substrate, I spray it a couple of times a day. Its just a snap shot, you cant see the humid hide on the right or the water bowl(which he never uses by the way.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
yarok said:
I got him at the end of February. They he said he hatched in august 2011. Is that pyramiding or normal?

I wouldn't consider any amount of pyramiding normal on a sulcata, however, since your tortoise is so young, the pyramiding it's showing here is not that bad. You'll need him around for a bit longer to really see if your husbandry is making a difference. Which it should based on what you described. By the time the tortoise is about two feet long, I'm sure no one would ever notice these little bumps he has now.

Status
Not open for further replies.