Pyramiding?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
So I see Spur everyday and I knew that I would get honest feedback from y'all so I wanted to ask if he's pyramiding? As far as I know, I've done and am continuing everything I've learned from the care sheets and asking tons of questions...His temps/humidity is right, gets his daily 30 minute soaks, and is fed organic spring mix with grinder zoomed grassland pellets twice daily and mazuri pellets a few times a week for weight gain/treats...I'm just a little concerned. I've attached a picture of him the day he arrived and then one I took today. IMG_1477.JPG DSC_0164.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He had a little pyramiding when you got him. From what I can tell, it hasn't gotten any worse since then. So, your doing a great job. Keep it up and when he gets bigger the little bit of pyramiding won't even be noticeable.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The pyramiding you're seeing is just the leftovers from the poor hatchling care it recieved from the breeder/seller you recieved it from. You, though, are doing a great job at raisin' this here youngin' up all proper like. As Barb stated already, as he grows, it won't be noticed at all. Maybe you'll notice because this here is your baby, but you have fixed those things as best as you can, (unless you have a time machine kickin' 'round in the back shed!) keep on, keepin' on with what you've been doing, and everything should continue great.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Okay, thank y'all...I just want to make sure he's getting the care he needs, anything less and I shouldn't have him at all. This is my first tortoise to raise from a hatchling so I'll probably continue to be paranoid until he's about 2!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Okay, thanks y'all...I'll probably continue to be paranoid until he's about 2!
So checking your information, I see you're in Alaska? Is this true? If so, what do you have figured for the needed outdoor time he'll need with is growth and wintertime weather? For instance I see Kenai, Alaska is currently 16°f and your 5 day forecast looks pretty rough for a tortoise. What would be your plans?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
So checking your information, I see you're in Alaska? Is this true? If so, what do you have figured for the needed outdoor time he'll need with is growth and wintertime weather? For instance I see Kenai, Alaska is currently 16°f and your 5 day forecast looks pretty rough for a tortoise. What would be your plans?
He's moving to Texas!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Okay, thank y'all...I just want to make sure he's getting the care he needs, anything less and I shouldn't have him at all. This is my first tortoise to raise from a hatchling so I'll probably continue to be paranoid until he's about 2!
You may never stop being paranoid! I worry about Charlie more since I discovered this forum. I never knew how many things could go wrong before that.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas

Yes sir it is, there's no way he could be here as he gets much older. Thankfully I'll be changing jobs and we'll be moving back to North East Texas, the land of humidity and 100 degrees. Spur will get some sunshine this summer up here but Texas is going to be a lifesaver for him. We knew we would be moving back within 2 years of getting him but it turned out to be under a year. It's going to be a good move for our family and the best thing for tort!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Yes sir it is, there's no way he could be here as he gets much older. Thankfully I'll be changing jobs and we'll be moving back to North East Texas, the land of humidity and 100 degrees. Spur will get some sunshine this summer up here but Texas is going to be a lifesaver for him. We knew we would be moving back within 2 years of getting him but it turned out to be under a year. It's going to be a good move for our family and the best thing for tort!

That does make me feel better, it is better to always be on the lookout for something before it can go wrong!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We knew we would be moving back within 2 years of getting him but it turned out to be under a year.
And as of now, I trust your job won't be requiring you to move yet again? Seems as though you've thought it out responsibly. This is good.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
He had a little pyramiding when you got him. From what I can tell, it hasn't gotten any worse since then. So, your doing a great job. Keep it up and when he gets bigger the little bit of pyramiding won't even be noticeable.
And as of now, I trust your job won't be requiring you to move yet again? Seems as though you've thought it out responsibly. This is good.

Yes sir, this will be it. No more moving, I'll actually be changing careers and joining the family construction contracting and commercial painting business. I've been in ministry for the past 9 years full time. We'll be settling down and making our permanent home front! I'm still trying to talk the wife into letting me start my tortoise farm, no luck yet. But I do think I've talked her into letting us bring home a Leopard after we get back! ;) Slowly but surely..

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yes sir, this will be it. No more moving, I'll actually be changing careers and joining the family construction contracting and commercial painting business. I've been in ministry for the past 9 years full time. We'll be settling down and making our permanent home front! I'm still trying to talk the wife into letting me start my tortoise farm, no luck yet. But I do think I've talked her into letting us bring home a Leopard after we get back! ;) Slowly but surely..
Start slowly, pointing out the benefits for the kids if you have maybe something small, like an acre with a cozy, warm house. Space for the youngins to run…
maybe 6 hens for fresh eggs…while you keep your eyes open looking at the ground cover if it's edible for tortoises. Baby-steps, nice, easy, baby-steps. Check out cool books from the library that are African tortoise geared and share the fun, fascinating lives they lead.
Soon, you'll be looking for 5 acres and getting couples tortoises for your anniversary gifts. Just saying…it can happen.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Start slowly, pointing out the benefits for the kids if you have maybe something small, like an acre with a cozy, warm house. Space for the youngins to run…
maybe 6 hens for fresh eggs…while you keep your eyes open looking at the ground cover if it's edible for tortoises. Baby-steps, nice, easy, baby-steps. Check out cool books from the library that are African tortoise geared and share the fun, fascinating lives they lead.
Soon, you'll be looking for 5 acres and getting couples tortoises for your anniversary gifts. Just saying…it can happen.

We think a lot alike! ;) I grew up on a ranch and that's all I want for my kids, there's nothing like it! I'll let you know how it turns out! ;)