1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Pyramiding?

Discussion in 'Redfoot and yellowfoot tortoises' started by pip wallace, Mar 14, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. pip wallace

pip wallace New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Evesham UK
    My tortoise has a ridge or bump on its shell. Unsure if this is new but worried about pyramiding. Can anyone help? It’s behind her head. 8E749ACF-FC2B-4BE3-BD29-CA752F751596.jpeg 821B95D8-7EF7-43C7-97D7-8FEA1A18925A.jpeg
  2. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    That is not a "normal" dip that is behind the head. A bit of a deformity, but probably will even out with age.

However, your tortoise is showing the early signs of pyramiding with the deeper grooves developing at the scute seams. Had been growing nicely. Anything changed the past month or two?
    pip wallace and domalle like this.
  3. pip wallace

pip wallace New Member

Evesham UK
    I’ve had her since 17th February. She was not at the right humidity but is now and I’ve reduced the temperature from 95 to 80-85. I’ve been soaking her daily. The shop I bought her from said 95 and spray enclosure twice a day. She had a basking light which I replaced with a che and added a hygrometer. I feed her twice daily.
  4. domalle

domalle Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Supporter

Agree with @Markw84 - looks like a crease ran across the front of the carapace during embryonic development. If you look closely you can see It affected not only the first vertebral scute that you are inquiring about but the first costal scutes on either side as well. Also agree given proper care the fold and the pyramiding will be less noticeable. Sounds like you are making some good cultural adjustments. It will take time. Good luck. Pretty tortoise btw.
    Kells Bells and pip wallace like this.