Pyramiding?

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
Hi! I wanted to check what everyone’s thoughts were on this. My baby seems to be showing signs of pyramiding. He’s about a year and a half years old.

He stays in a closed chamber, with an automatic misting system. It goes off 3 times a day for 2 minutes. He also has coconut fiber substrate. His humidity never drops below 50%. I also soak him for about 10 minutes every morning.

This guy is picky with food. He’ll eat cactus no problem, but never wants to eat his grass or weeds. He’ll usually only eat Mazuri diet.

Is this a problem with over feeding? Or what should I change before this gets worse?

I tried my best to get a good photo, but he never stops moving. IMG_7636.jpgIMG_7651.jpg

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Ok! So you think my issue is probably humidity? I’ll definitely work on keeping it higher.
Yeah - I would say its the humidity. Try keeping it over 85% during the day, which will probably rise to near 100% at night when the enclosure cools off.

Reactions: Tom

peridot

NC
Yeah - I would say its the humidity. Try keeping it over 85% during the day, which will probably rise to near 100% at night when the enclosure cools off.

Ok! I’ve been able to maintain 80% the past few days. Do you think the pyramiding that has happened so far is reversible?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Ok! I’ve been able to maintain 80% the past few days. Do you think the pyramiding that has happened so far is reversible?
No. What is there will remain, but the tortoise is young so if you correct the issue now, by the time it is full grown it will be barely noticeable. Not to mention things like abrasion from walking through tall grass and breeding (if it is a female) will also tend to smooth the carapace over time.

Scotts_Radiated

5 Year Member
Orlando, Fl
Are any of you keepers using misters or foggers to keep the humidity levels up? I was looking at reptirain, reptifogger, and monsoon high pressure mister?
My setup
180 gallon fish tank 72"24"24"
13 watt uvb 100 tropical bulb
Reptisun Uvb bulb
Cypress mulch

kazjimmy

baldwin park
Oh btw fish tank glass raise up temperature and suck off all the humidity once you place heat lamp so fish tank is not for tortoise.