pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I have seen pictures of Rads with and without pyramiding. Tom says he doesnt beleive that Leopards pyramid in the wild. He beleives they were captives released into the wild. Could this be the case with Rads? If I get a Rad should I go through the extra steps to try and prevent pyramiding?? Is there a difference in price if they are with or without pyramiding?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen a couple of presentations on wild radiateds and some of the wild living ones ARE pyramided. However these ones live near the humans with the crops and trash, and it is common over there to plant regular opuntia cactus all around the crop fields to keep the grazing animals out. Well the radiateds in the area gorge themselves daily on opuntia and opuntia fruit. So are they really "wild" tortoises? Well, sort of...

We had an African join the forum a while back and say the same thing I have been saying about "wild" leopards. How do you really define wild anymore when people catch them, release them, move them all over the continent, feed them, plant crops or otherwise alter the landscape near them, etc...?

The methods that I use for sulcatas and leopards are NOT proven for other species. Attempt them at your own risk. I intend to attempt them, but that could get pretty iffy with something so rare and precious as a radiated. It seems people who raise them in warm humid climates (Greg) have smooth ones and people who raise them in dryer environments like CA or AZ (unless steps are taken to mitigate the dryness, like JD) tend to have more bumpy ones. It SEEMS to me that the same principles apply, but to what degree, I have zero experience to speak of. Only casual observations.

There is no doubt that the price will be higher, the more attractive a particular individual is, whether it be because of shell smoothness, pattern, or color.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
It's hard to say what exactly occurs in the wild without being there to observe it on a regular basis or at least quite often. Reports of pyramiding in wild tortoises of several different species are not unheard of and recent literature points to the fact that it may be due to insufficient amounts of humidity/water. In my own collection, the hatchlings raised with adequate hydration grow bowling ball smooth.

T. hermanni hermanni from extremely arid environments have been found with abnormally formed shells or pyramiding, for example.

As for pricing, it sometimes depends on the individual selling the animals and what they are personally worth to them. Some sellers will drastically drop the price of an animal that is severely pyramided, some may not.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Normally I do not like the look Of a pyramided shell but I think it fits the radiateds. Maybe it's bc I always thought that was there natural state. Slightly pyramided that is not when it's really bad.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
voodoochild said:
Normally I do not like the look Of a pyramided shell but I think it fits the radiateds. Maybe it's bc I always thought that was there natural state. Slightly pyramided that is not when it's really bad.

But, if they aren't suppose to be pyramided, isn't it then raising them unhealthy or in an unhealthy environment to let them pyramid? I don't know, but seems to me. Also, have you seen Gregs (Aldabramans) probably the best I have seen.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I think most of us prefer any tortoise with a natural smooth shell but pyramiding is believed to be strictly cosmetic and does not cause the animal any long term health effects.

I have had both badly pyramided and perfectly smooth Radiateds in my collection. Here's a photo of two of my fully grown adults.

IMG_2856.jpg

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
HermanniChris said:
I think most of us prefer any tortoise with a natural smooth shell but pyramiding is believed to be strictly cosmetic and does not cause the animal any long term health effects.

I have had both badly pyramided and perfectly smooth Radiateds in my collection. Here's a photo of two of my fully grown adults.

IMG_2856.jpg

Those are so awesome! I'm actually in Daytona right now and I'm so tempted to get one. I'm surprised how many people have them. Seem to have a lot of torts this year.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
HermanniChris said:

IMG_2856.jpg

True to a point I would think. If it's not raised properly, then it most likely pyramids. The actual pyramid isn't unhealthy, but how it got that way is. May not be long term, then again, a tort denied water would be unhealthy and pyramided. Long term, who really knows? Now if it is raised without the proper humidity, may not seem so unhealthy, but then again, who really knows what's going on inside? My opinion, your responsibility is to raise it the right way, not purposely raise it in a way that would knowingly make it pyramid. To me that's your want in front of the health of the tort.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
wellington said:
HermanniChris said:

IMG_2856.jpg

True to a point I would think. If it's not raised properly, then it most likely pyramids. The actual pyramid isn't unhealthy, but how it got that way is. May not be long term, then again, a tort denied water would be unhealthy and pyramided. Long term, who really knows? Now if it is raised without the proper humidity, may not seem so unhealthy, but then again, who really knows what's going on inside? My opinion, your responsibility is to raise it the right way, not purposely raise it in a way that would knowingly make it pyramid. To me that's your want in front of the health of the tort.

But do people actually set out to purposely pyramid their torts ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
voodoochild said:
I have seen pictures of Rads with and without pyramiding. Tom says he doesnt beleive that Leopards pyramid in the wild. He beleives they were captives released into the wild. Could this be the case with Rads? If I get a Rad should I go through the extra steps to try and prevent pyramiding?? Is there a difference in price if they are with or without pyramiding?

Thanks!

I hope people don't purposely set out to pyramid their torts, however, there probably are some that do. However, you asked, quote "should I go through the extra steps to try and prevent pyramiding". So, because you also said, quote "Normally I do not like the look Of a pyramided shell but I think it fits the radiateds" I kinda figured you might. It's your choice of course. Just pointing out, that a pyramided tort, is possibly not the healthiest it could be and now we know better.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
wellington said:
voodoochild said:

Thanks!

I hope people don't purposely set out to pyramid their torts, however, there probably are some that do. However, you asked, quote "should I go through the extra steps to try and prevent pyramiding". So, because you also said, quote "Normally I do not like the look Of a pyramided shell but I think it fits the radiateds" I kinda figured you might. It's your choice of course. Just pointing out, that a pyramided tort, is possibly not the healthiest it could be and now we know better.

I just meant "extra steps" as in what Tom is doing with his sulcatas and leopards. Misting their shells 3x a day and soaking them in warm water for 30 min a day and so on. And I'm just saying a pyramided rad isn't as hideous as other pyramided torts. I'm not about to raise them on hay without a water dish or something. I was just curious to know if all pyramided tortoises were deformed or if some species were naturally pyramided.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do believe there are a few species that are naturally pyramided. However, not sure they are any that anyone on here has. I didn't think you would raise it the old fashioned, no water way. But the new right way, well, doesn't it include the extra steps to prevent them from pyramiding. It is of course your choice. Good luck anyway, getting one and raising it how ever you want:D

Status
Not open for further replies.