Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddymorgan

5 Year Member
Is Tara's shell pyramiding? I bought her like a year ago but never really realized it, until now... I've had a uvb and a basking light in her enclosure since I got her and the place I got her had too. Please try and help am very worried:/

Sent from my ST21i using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1375620660066.jpg
    1375620660066.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 1375621185434.jpg
    1375621185434.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 1375621244398.jpg
    1375621244398.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 145

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, the new growth along the top edge seems to be sunken in, but I wouldn't call it pyramiding. I don't know what's happening to your tortoise. Maybe it's being fed too much and its growing too fast?????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is pyramiding a little bit. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Usually a damp substrate, moderate humidity, good hydration and a humid hide will prevent it in the Testudo species. So is your enclosure pretty dry? I see what appears to be a red bulb in the first pic. Do you let your tortoise cool at night? I don't care for red bulbs day or night. Russians really do not need night heat, unless you live inside a refrigerator. What do you feed? Does your tortoise ever get outside time?

paddymorgan

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Pyramiding

Tom said:
It is pyramiding a little bit. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Usually a damp substrate, moderate humidity, good hydration and a humid hide will prevent it in the Testudo species. So is your enclosure pretty dry? I see what appears to be a red bulb in the first pic. Do you let your tortoise cool at night? I don't care for red bulbs day or night. Russians really do not need night heat, unless you live inside a refrigerator. What do you feed? Does your tortoise ever get outside time?

Yes I do bring her out, alot. I feed her white cabbage, small bits of carrot, dandelion leaves and flower, small bits of red pepper, bok choi and when she goes outside she nibbles on weeds. For treats I give her tomato, apple, aloe vera and small bits of melon. But I only give her treats around once a month. Her enclosure is quite dry but I mist I around once a month :/ Should I be doing it more often? Also, I don't leave the red light on at night it's just I had to buy a new bulb and they had no normal ones. Thanks

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
paddymorgan said:
Tom said:

Yes I do bring her out, alot. I feed her white cabbage, small bits of carrot, dandelion leaves and flower, small bits of red pepper, bok choi and when she goes outside she nibbles on weeds. For treats I give her tomato, apple, aloe vera and small bits of melon. But I only give her treats around once a month. Her enclosure is quite dry but I mist I around once a month :/ Should I be doing it more often? Also, I don't leave the red light on at night it's just I had to buy a new bulb and they had no normal ones. Thanks

Cabbage isn't the best to feed. Peppers should be a treat too. And bok choi is okay to feed seldomly.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

paddymorgan

5 Year Member
Any ideas as to what healthy food I should feed her?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Russians (well really all Testudo) are not prone to pyramiding like some other species. If yours is looking like this then there is a problem. They need a widely varied diet of broad leaved weeds, flowers, succulents, spring mix and vegetables. From what you described as a diet I would get rid of all the sugary foods. Carrots,all fruit,tomatoes and the red pepper are all treats. Overall the best thing you posted is the dandylion and aloe. Keep that and add about twenty more things that you rotate all around as you have them. They need humidity maintained at least 50% and higher depending on the age of the tort. Hatchlings are kept closer to 70% around here. A weekly soak in tepid water and lots of natural unfiltered sunshine are next. A plastic dishwashing tub put in the sunshine so the water stays warm and at least 20 minutes like this once a week. Another thing it needs is room to exercise and roam. Russians have one of the largest territories of any tortoise in the wild. So the access to exercise and space to roam that captive russians get is usually not going to satisfy those needs. This leads to unfit and overweight torts who have nothing to use all those calories on. As that continues organ muscle bone and shell issues arrive.

Feed any of these that are pesticide free...
Roses, daylilies, hibiscus,rose of sharon, sedum, apentia, aloe, opuntia, nasturtium, spring mix, red leaf lettuce, collard greens, mustard greens, dandylion, milkweed,mallow,miners lettuce, white clover, zuccini, yellow crookneck squash, and many many more..

paddymorgan

5 Year Member
Wow thanks very much I never realized I was caring for her so badly... Are the plants you listed a staple diet or do I have to give her them occasionally?

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Tom said:
While there is minor pyramiding here Tom, the main problem here is excessive growth. Sadly most Russians are grown too fast, they shouldn't really have the white bits at all. Do you hibernate him? It is advisable to stop overeating. In the wild they will only eat for 3 months a year. The items listed are staples. Most of the diet should be weeds, so check out the tortoise table site for safe ones.

paddymorgan

5 Year Member
It said not to hibernate her if she is under 4 (she's 2 now) so I got a higher wattage bulb. I will definitely check out that site thanks

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Tortoises would naturally hibernate in the wild as soon as winter comes. As long as her weight is fine, I would think about hibernation next winter. Also, restrict the amount of food you're feeding her normally. Take a look at some pics of wild Russians and see what he should look like.

tiffanyluvstorts

5 Year Member
Does it hurt the tort when they pyramid like this? I mean, is it painful to them? I'm so afraid of it.

paddymorgan

5 Year Member
Thank you all very much for your help!:) Hopefully with a better diet and 'improved' enclosure she'll out live me!!!

Tiffany, I know as little as you do about it! Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.