Pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is this a serious health issue with Sulcatas, or is it merely a cosmetic issue?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It can be serious, but if caught in time, its mostly cosmetic. Along with the pyramiding come metabolic bone disease. And the shell material is full of holes, rather than more dense material. Look for another thread and I posted some pictures of a pyramided carapace cut in half so you can see the porosity.

Yvonne

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I thought MBD was caused by a lack of sunlight, but pyramiding was caused by a lack of humidity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are several things that work together. Diet, UVB, exercise and humidity. It isn't just one thing that causes pyramiding and MBD.

Yvonne

Nobody

5 Year Member
Philippines
Is it true that pyramiding stunts or slows down the growth of Sulcatas?
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not on its own. It would have to be coupled with MBD. Just from my experience with rescued Sulcatas. I've seen some pyramided sulcatas that are larger than what would be "normal" for that age, by the same token, really badly pyramided sulcatas, that also include MBD, are usually smaller than normal.

M

Maggie Cummings

Here's an example of pyramiding and MBD. Their internal organs are squashed and they get too weak to use their legs. While I didn't see Toby first hand I was told it took months after he was rescued before he could raise his plastron off the ground. MBD is also painful to the tortoise, possibly like arthritis or fibromyalgia is to us.

http://turtlerescues.com/images/Sulcata _Toby.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I have one that look slike Toby. He is smaller and has not grown much at all, but he has grown some. Compared to the others I have, its almost nothing. But he loves his mazuri and greens and cruises all over. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.