Question about Beak

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I keep an adult male Russian, named Steve. He is a pretty active, aggressive individual, especially on warmer, sunnier days, as expected. He is often quite intimate with a particular rock in his enclosure, the frequency of which I can only assume is typical. He usually bites the rock beforehand, and sometimes I'm worried about how hard he's biting. Steve used to have a longer beak, but years ago, we were able to trim it with nail clippers and then file it down a bit more. Eating seems to be easier for him now that his beak is shorter. I'm wondering: is it too worn down now? Is there a risk that his beak might crack? Should I supplement his diet with extra calcium? Is the rock a concern and should I remove it for a little while?

Attachments

• beak1.jpg
    beak1.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 10
  • beak2.jpg
    beak2.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 10

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We generally advise new members to feed their tort on a peice of slate, cement or overturned ceramic tile to keep the beak trimmed naturally. This also works on nails.
I'd remove the rock because it seems to cause him stress

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
We generally advise new members to feed their tort on a peice of slate, cement or overturned ceramic tile to keep the beak trimmed naturally. This also works on nails.
I'd remove the rock because it seems to cause him stress
Can do. I do feed him on a terra cotta dish and that has also seemed to help keep it filed.