Question about breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennsmom52

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, CA
I'm still Really new at being a tortoise Mommy. We haven't even had this guy a month yet. I set up a temporary outdoor enclosure for our little guy. Next spring we plan on making a bigger/better one. Anyways, Rocky loves being outside, but I don't always have the time to watch him walk around our neighborhood. That's where my kids plastic tugboat sandbox came in the picture. The sides are high so he can't escape. He is only left outside during the day and checked on frequently.

image-2258647145.png

Sometimes when I check on him I can really see him breathing. Other times it's not so noticeable. Is this normal? He nose and eyes are clear. His eating and bathroom business is all normal. I soak him a couple times a week.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Very normal, the don't have a diaphragm like we do, so they breathe differently.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Since he will probably be able to go outside on and off for awhile, you might add some untreated garden dirt and just mix it up with the bark. They really like to dig.
On hotter days, you can put a piece of wood across one side for extra shade.

He is a cutie!

jennsmom52

5 Year Member
Bay Area, CA
Thanks for the advice.
I need to get some soil. I don't leave him out there if I'm going to be gone long. I feel like I need a net over the top or something. Worried something will try to mess with him.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If it is just for a few hours in the day, and if there is shade and some protection if it rains (piece of wood), you can get chicken wire and bend it around the sides, then put a piece of wood on one side over the top.
I saw another one where the owner got a second pool, cut out the bottom and zip tied wire to the opening (even plastic garden fencing would work). Flip it over and you have a screened lid. You can use C clamps to attach top to bottom for security.
This would be fine for a few hours during the day, not sure it would work against night predators.

Status
Not open for further replies.