Is my Russian tortoise overweight??

RecallzOP

Location (City and/or State)
McKinney
Please let me know if you think he is overweight? I just got him and if he is how do I make sure not to make him more overweight?

Attachments

• IMG_2405.jpeg
    IMG_2405.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2406.jpeg
    IMG_2406.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2412.jpeg
    IMG_2412.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2411.jpeg
    IMG_2411.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2410.jpeg
    IMG_2410.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2413.jpeg
    IMG_2413.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2414.jpeg
    IMG_2414.jpeg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    915.8 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A tortoise can't get over weight if it's fed the right foods daily and housed in a properly sized enclosure.
An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8. I'm guessing he does not have that?
If not, that's what needs to be changed ASAP!
What does his diet consist of?
He does seem to have a bit of fatty legs.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to the forum 🤗 what an adorable tortoise 🐢. I wouldn't worry about a weight problem. You can let them eat all they want of the right foods. I don't know how to direct you to those topics but I'm sure you'll get some answers soon that can.🤗

RecallzOP

McKinney
A tortoise can't get over weight if it's fed the right foods daily and housed in a properly sized enclosure.
An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8. I'm guessing he does not have that?
If not, that's what needs to be changed ASAP!
What does his diet consist of?
He does seem to have a bit of fatty legs.
I just got him from the store literally a day ago so he came looking like this just wanted to know if I needed to change anything immediately but he is in a proper enclosure now and getting the diet he needs now.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It sounds like he is a "new to you" tortoise, correct? honestly he does look pretty pudgy to me.

What is the size of the enclosure you are going to have him in? He needs a LOT of space to bea ble to walk around, like 4' x 8'.

He likely got the way he is by not having enough room to walk around and being given incorrect foods.

This is a dense FAQ but do strongly recommend reading it for advice on what to do (and NOT to do). Please don't hesitate to ask questions, we're here to help!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I just got him from the store literally a day ago so he came looking like this just wanted to know if I needed to change anything immediately but he is in a proper enclosure now and getting the diet he needs now.

Can you clarify what you are calling a "proper enclosure" and "diet he needs"? Only because we get many many people here who say that, but then are just having them in a 2 x 3 "tortoise house" from amazon (much much too small" and feeding them romain and carrots.

RecallzOP

McKinney
It sounds like he is a "new to you" tortoise, correct? honestly he does look pretty pudgy to me.

What is the size of the enclosure you are going to have him in? He needs a LOT of space to bea ble to walk around, like 4' x 8'.

He likely got the way he is by not having enough room to walk around and being given incorrect foods.

This is a dense FAQ but do strongly recommend reading it for advice on what to do (and NOT to do). Please don't hesitate to ask questions, we're here to help!

Yes he is in a self made enclosure now at 4x8 they only thing I’m not sure on if the supplement they gave me it’s repashey superveggie I might switch it for just straight calcium but not sure if I should keep or switch that. That’s the only thing I’m not sure of in this whole thing. Out of all my research before I got a tortoise never seen someone give superveggie before.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes he is in a self made enclosure now at 4x8 they only thing I’m not sure on if the supplement they gave me it’s repashey superveggie I might switch it for just straight calcium but not sure if I should keep or switch that. That’s the only thing I’m not sure of in this whole thing. Out of all my research before I got a tortoise never seen someone give superveggie before.

@Tom or @Yvonne G can probably speak to that. I know I see Bearie rescues use Repashey but I haven't heard of anyone using it for tortoises.

What kind of foods are you giving and what is your light situation? Or are you outside?

RecallzOP

McKinney
Can you clarify what you are calling a "proper enclosure" and "diet he needs"? Only because we get many many people here who say that, but then are just having them in a 2 x 3 "tortoise house" from amazon (much much too small" and feeding them romain and carrots.
He is in a 4x8 diy enclosure. He is getting leafy greens like collards some kale not a lot of it though. Also gets mustard greens as well and dandelion greens. The supplement repashy super veggie but I might switch that for just straight calcium. This is just for now I’ll switch the greens with new ones each week but for now that’s what he gets.

RecallzOP

McKinney
@Tom or @Yvonne G can probably speak to that. I know I see Bearie rescues use Repashey but I haven't heard of anyone using it for tortoises.

What kind of foods are you giving and what is your light situation? Or are you outside?
Light basking is at a 95 decree was told by a lot of people on the forum that is a good basking temp for a Russian, if this is to high let me know and a UVB of 3.3 measured from the top of his shell

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Light basking is at a 95 decree was told by a lot of people on the forum that is a good basking temp for a Russian, if this is to high let me know and a UVB of 3.3 measured from the top of his shell
3.3 inches away from the shell? That is wayyyy to close.
95 basking is fine. It can be 95-100 and should be with an incandescent flood bulb not a spot bulb.
Tube fluorescent for uvb not a coil type bulb, not a mercury or halogen either.
Night temps can be in the 60's. But if you don't brumate this next winter, the keep night temps 70 or a little above.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
again, strongly recommend you read here for info:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
again, strongly recommend you read here for info:

It's so much worth a read or two or ten when you're starting out 🤗🐢

RecallzOP

McKinney
3.3 inches away from the shell? That is wayyyy to close.
95 basking is fine. It can be 95-100 and should be with an incandescent flood bulb not a spot bulb.
Tube fluorescent for uvb not a coil type bulb, not a mercury or halogen either.
Night temps can be in the 60's. But if you don't brumate this next winter, the keep night temps 70 or a little above.
No the UV Index is 3.3 and it’s a tube not coil

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Repashy is not good for tortoises. Its too high in one of the vitamins if I recall correctly. @TeamZissou is the one who pointed this out.