Question about enclosure switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Syros, Greece
My garden has two potential places for my tortoise to stay. One is a ~6m long, ~40cm wide, ~30cm tall enclosure, where I keep her now. The other one is ~1.5m long, ~50cm wide and same height as the previous one. Both of them have shade in one end, easy to dig soil and can grow the local plants (provided there's enough water, for most of the summer and autumn there isn't).

The large one, where the tortoise is now, has a lot of wild, dried clumps of wheat (think like small, dried reeds) and it's also where the tortoise has stayed for the past years so it could be considered a familiar surrounding. My problem is that it seems too large for the tortoise (she's 12cm long) and sometimes I lose her in the thick growth for one or two days at a time (she seems to be fine, I just wish to observer her better).

The small one I don't take care of or water at all so currently it is barren (if the tortoise moves there it will undergo extensive modifications) but it is a bit closer to a water source (a well, or rather, a stone tank from which I can get water to give her). I am worried about moving her there though because she might not have enough space to live in.

What should I do?
Photos can be provided if requested...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Size of your tortoise and pics would help a lot. The best thing for enclosures though is the bigger the better. Remember, they don't have walls where they come from in the wild.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The smaller one is too small for a growing tort in my opinion. As wellington said, the bigger the better.

Torts don't like to be observed too much, that's why they hide away. They don't stay on public view the whole time... not unless there's a good full sun sunbathing spot and some serious snoozing needed :)

PapS

5 Year Member
Syros, Greece
Okay then, she stays where she is. But I need to give the enclosure some remodelling to make it more interesting. Could I add some large boulders that she can climb on? Or logs or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.