Question about protein for redfoots

PinkPine

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Since I joined this site I've been questioning everything I've been told regarding care for my tortoises. I have a question for the more experienced redfoot keepers- what is the best source of protein for a 4 year old Cherry Head? And how often/ what amount? I've had him for almost 2 years and he has been eating 1 frozen thawed pinky per week. Sometimes I sub it with half a hard boiled egg instead for variety

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Since I joined this site I've been questioning everything I've been told regarding care for my tortoises. I have a question for the more experienced redfoot keepers- what is the best source of protein for a 4 year old Cherry Head? And how often/ what amount? I've had him for almost 2 years and he has been eating 1 frozen thawed pinky per week. Sometimes I sub it with half a hard boiled egg instead for variety
They can eat shrimp and chicken too boiled plain. Or super worms. A lot of people feed it once a week or every other week. Also Mazuri pellets, mealworms, crickets if you can stand the noise they make while alive. Just to name a few. You can give them the shell with the hard boiled egg too.

Last edited:

PinkPine

Michigan
They can eat shrimp and chicken too boiled plain. Or super worms. A lot of people feed it once a week or every other week. Also Mazuri pellets, mealworms, crickets if you can stand the noise they make while alive. Just to name a few. You can give them the shell with the hard boiled egg too.
Thanks! I had no idea about shrimp. He eats just about anything (and tries going for things he should not) so I think I'll have luck introducing new food

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I like @mojo_1 list.
But you can also use wet dog food. Cat food and animal protein (meat) including pinky mice.
However I feed little protein myself to my RF group simply because of how plentiful other foods are here year round.
I'd say that up to 10% would be fine.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks! I had no idea about shrimp. He eats just about anything (and tries going for things he should not) so I think I'll have luck introducing new food
What's on the "should not" list?
Just curious.
Redfoot can eat almost any fresh and non processed food that you eat. In moderation.
They can eat things that would make most other species very ill.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's on the "should not" list?
Just curious.
Redfoot can eat almost any fresh and non processed food that you eat. In moderation.
They can eat things that would make most other species very ill.
I would definitely put dog 💩 on the "should not" list...! Also processed and salty food.

k8tburt

Tampa
I feed mine soaked high protein cat kibble or canned cat food. About a table spoon once a week. The funny thing is I have never had a problem feeding them protein, they happily eat whatever flavor they are given. But give them a new green food and they behave like small children and refuse to eat it!

PinkPine

Michigan
I feed mine soaked high protein cat kibble or canned cat food. About a table spoon once a week. The funny thing is I have never had a problem feeding them protein, they happily eat whatever flavor they are given. But give them a new green food and they behave like small children and refuse to eat it!
Same with the greens! And dried flowers - I spent so much on a huge variety and my redfoot turns his nose at them. But he's all over his own floaters in the tub

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Same with the greens! And dried flowers - I spent so much on a huge variety and my redfoot turns his nose at them. But he's all over his own floaters in the tub
Some times you just have to give them tough love and not give them the choice of anything else. They will come around to it pretty quick.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Some times you just have to give them tough love and not give them the choice of anything else. They will come around to it pretty quick.
Yes they will.
A healthy tortoise won't starve itself. It'll eat when it gets good and hungry.
Most adult RF will eat almost anything. They get less picky as they get older.