Animal protein sources for redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Hello,
What do you all use as animal protein source for your redfoots,both for young ones and adults? Also, how often do you feed them animal protein matter and how much?

Thank you.
Michael

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I feed my redfoot Mazuri for some protein as well as some boiled chicken, and earthworms. Chicken and worms are very rare maybe once a month and mazuri maybe once every week.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm babysitting a couple redfoots and I occasionally feed them hard boiled chicken eggs including the shell. At other times I use the same dry cat food that Terry at turtletary.com advises. I think it may be called Pro-Plan.

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Thanks Peter and Yvonne.

I do use boiled eggs with shells once every couple of weeks. I have looked at Terry's page and one info I couldn't find there is how often and how much of the cat food he feeds to sub adults and adults. I see Terry is a member here but I am not sure if he is still around. Hopefully he will chime in.

Michael

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hard boiled eggs no shells, freeze dried shrimp, crickets, mealworms. I do this about once a week....

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
once a week,

Boiled eggs, Hopper Mice, Day old chicks, Earthworms, Low fat dog/cat food! :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You'll find the amounts, etc. under the "Revised diet" [ about 3/4 down page ] http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm - use same "proportions".. how much they will eat in 10 minutes or less! NEVER feed more than they will eat.. they should NEVER walk away from any. READ it all.

Using the dry catfood [ in moderation as described ] has been used mainly for convenience due to numbers I've been feeding.. read carefully how it is used. I happen to believe it is the "best" source of concentrated nutrients.. ie "live" animal protein must be "gut-loaded" to provide same.. especially mealworms and crickets. Mushrooms are great for D also! The examples of how mine look should tell the tale.

Hope this helps...

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use phoenix/reptiworms (black soldier fly larvae), waxworms, and Mazuri. I follow similar regimes to the previous posters.

I like the black soldier fly larvae because they have a great Ca punch. I'm thinking of composting with them soon so I'll have my own colony to feed out and dispose of my organic wastes:

http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/bsf-bucket-composter-version-2-1/

shelledfriends

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Terry, thanks for the clarification on how much you feed your adults. Appreciate it.

Michael

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We like TURTLE MAZURI. They LOVE it. This is not the same as tortoise Mazuri.

Status
Not open for further replies.