Question about transporting a new tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyOfTheWord

5 Year Member
Not sure if this is in the right section, but I figure this is the best place to post my question.

So long story short, I don't own a car, and am worried about transporting my future tort via public transportation.
While I could get a ride some of the time, I can't guarantee that I can avoid public transportation during the initial transport or to vet appointments.
For those of you who know Chicago public transportation, it provides some heat, but nowhere near that of a car.

My question is this: what's the best way to keep my tort warm and safe during the trip?

Should I put it in a plastic box with some coir and place heat packs on the outside? Or is there a better method?

Thanks very much!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
bump...I've never really transported or shipped torts but I hear people use heat packs, or hot/warm water bottles...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
A cooler with a hand warmer or heat pack wrapped in a towel works well. I have transported mine in the winter time that way many, many times. I have even transported a 25lb sulcata in a big cooler ;)

LadyOfTheWord

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! That sounds like a great idea.
I was thinking of using those little disposable hand warmers that you can break to activate. Of course, after. Wrapping them in a towel.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
A small cooler is a great idea (heat pack in towel too). People will think you are carrying your lunch :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.