Transporting small tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrsusArctos

5 Year Member
Hello!

This upcoming weekend we are moving 500 miles miles away. We have a 6 month old Sulcata and we are wondering what would be the best way to transport her for the 10-12 hour drive.

I don't want to keep her in the large glass tank in case it breaks (which happened to me years before). I thought about buying one of those cheap plastic 'critter keeper' containers but I worry that maybe the plastic would make it too intolerably hot in there- any thoughts? Maybe just a cardboard box? Any suggestions are welcome!

Additional info- she'll be in the car with us, so the car itself will be temperature regulated with the air conditioner on- so it will be cool but not freezing.

jerm42991

5 Year Member
I took my redfoot when he was about that same age from Indiana to Florida which is about twice as far as you are traveling, except I went on vacation, not to live so he had a trip back to.

What I did was got a small plastic tuperware container that was about 2 foot by 1 foot and stuck him in that with some water. I let him out to walk around the few times we stopped and he even came in with us to restaurants. Everything was fine.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
A small box or tub with some absorbent disposable cushioning should work just fine. Have extra absorbent disposable cushioning to replace it should your animal soil it.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
I always use a plastic milk crate with a small pillow inside...strong, excellent ventilation and cushioning. lay a piece of cheesecloth across the top to keep out the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.