Help need advice for transporting Russian tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

udontnojakki

5 Year Member
Hello everyone! I need advice! I am moving across country (2000 miles) and need to come up with a way to move my 3 yr old Russian tortoise with me. His tort box is very big and will probably have to go in the moving truck. So how should I transport him? The move will take 3 to 4 days. Should I put him in an open cardboard box? How should I provide light? Should I feed differently than usual along the way? Thanks in advance,

Jakki

Sent from my SCH-R530U using TortForum mobile app

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
I would use a rubber maid tote. Easy to clean. Feed the same. Try and let him get some fresh air and light on the way, and access to water.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
When I moved my Russians across the country I put them in a Rubbermaid tote with some hand warmers wrapped in cloth as well as some loose cloths so they could "burrow". At night in hotels I took out the warmers and hooked up a Che I kept in the car not packed away, and whenever I stopped for food I would let them out and give them something to eat. They didn't really eat much during the day and I'm sure didn't enjoy the trip but they made it and that's what counts right.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Mine always spent the nights in the hotel bathtub. I'd feed them in there, let them drink, maybe have a shower. Easy to clean, and no temperature surprises.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
Those are some good ideas I might do that when I go on vacation

udontnojakki

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I will definitely consider these tips when I make my move.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using TortForum mobile app

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Of course, they will be OK w/o eating or UV for 3-4 days.
So a Rubbermaid tote with some substrate in it, and air holes if you use the lid to keep them from climbing out, would be fine.

You could soak them once along the way.
Unless your hotel rooms are extremely cold, they wouldn't need heat at night, necessarily.

Then a good soak when you get there, and set them up in their enclosure! They will forgive you. ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd use a small, dark colored, opaque plastic tub. Keep the lid on so it stays dark all the time and keep it cool. To him it will seem like one long night. Darkness and coolness will keep him calmer. This would be equivalent to a wild one staying buried in its burrow for a couple of days during some cool overcast spring weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.