Question on food (and pics of spuds first try of carrot)

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi all, so it have run out of different things to feed spud as he has had the same for the past week: dandelion, clover, wild carrot, lambs lettuce, nasturtium and pansies. Oh and a bit of dead nettle (that he doesn't really like)

so today I picked up some spring mix and was wondering if it was okay to add to the variety. It consists of:
Water cress, green Batavia, red Batavia, Apollo lettuce and red salanova.

I know its mostly lettuce but is it okay with other foods for variety?

Thanks, also spud tried his first bit of carrot today! (I grated it) I think he found it a bit hard work to eat as it was quite tough lol here's a few pics ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434478202.144108.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434478218.590230.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
When we say variety, it doesn't mean variety every day. You can buy a bag of mixed leaves and feed all of that over a the next few days and then maybe buy a different one the next week and alternate them.

Dandelions, etc can be fed every day that you can get them which you probably won't be able to all year round.

Look up the plants you can buy and the ones growing round you, including those in your salad mix, in the Tortoise Table plant database for suitability http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp?v=desktop

Fruit, including bell pepper and tomato, and carrots (the orange bit not the green tops) are high in sugars which a tort like yours finds hard to digest and can cause health problems ... they should be kept for an occasional treat.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
When we say variety, it doesn't mean variety every day. You can buy a bag of mixed leaves and feed all of that over a the next few days and then maybe buy a different one the next week and alternate them.

Dandelions, etc can be fed every day that you can get them which you probably won't be able to all year round.

Look up the plants you can buy and the ones growing round you, including those in your salad mix, in the Tortoise Table plant database for suitability http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp?v=desktop

Fruit, including bell pepper and tomato, and carrots (the orange bit not the green tops) are high in sugars which a tort like yours finds hard to digest and can cause health problems ... they should be kept for an occasional treat.
We'll, I have a plastic greenhouse and I have a planter full of kale, clover, wild carrot, one for dandelion and another for a seed mix so I'm stocking up for winter :) but any ideas if that lettuce mix is suitable? ^^

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
From the tortoise table: Watercress in moderation as it's a brassica (like kale)
The others aren't listed, so I'd treat those like other lettuces and say in moderation too

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
From the tortoise table: Watercress in moderation as it's a brassica (like kale)
The others aren't listed, so I'd treat those like other lettuces and say in moderation too
Okay thanks :) I looked them up, the only one I'm not sure of now is salanova. I'll just take the salanova out just in case

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Okay thanks :) I looked them up, the only one I'm not sure of now is salanova. I'll just take the salanova out just in case

Is it edible for people? Then it's most likely fine in moderation.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
To me that mix sounds fine as part of a wider balanced diet such as that you are providing.
Salanova is a brand name for a group of lettuces produced by one company and are fine to feed.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
To me that mix sounds fine as part of a wider balanced diet such as that you are providing.
Salanova is a brand name for a group of lettuces produced by one company and are fine to feed.
Oh... This morning I picked it out and threw it lol but here he is enjoying his food:ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434572116.262490.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434572125.413728.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434572134.596898.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Still think he's gorgeous.
And you know salinova's okay for future reference.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Still think he's gorgeous.
And you know salinova's okay for future reference.
Thanks :D and yeah, I'm still trying to find a really nice spring mix but they are all just lettuce, then I have to buy a big bag and I just end up wasting it :( this one is the nicest mix so far though :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do any of your grocery stores sell "living lettuce"? Mixed leaves growing in a tray that are intended for you to grow on your windowsill so that you can pull a couple of leaves off as needed.

These make great browsing. Keep it watered and put the entire tray in the enclosure.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Do any of your grocery stores sell "living lettuce"? Mixed leaves growing in a tray that are intended for you to grow on your windowsill so that you can pull a couple of leaves off as needed.

These make great browsing. Keep it watered and put the entire tray in the enclosure.
No I don't think so, I think I'm re growing all my plants soon and getting planters. I'll get some live lettuce from the garden centre and wait for the new growth to feed I think :) I'm also ordering a nice seed mix soon :D

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Anyway If I put the whole tray in, spud would eat the whole thing in a day... He wouldn't leave it alone lol that's what he did with the seed mix

spud's_mum

United Kingdom

I found one, but I heard that lettuce isn't recommended? Is it okay? Also it doesn't say what type of lettuce it is. Also do you let it weather or just put it straight in? As I get worried about pesticides. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434916263.242079.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
These salads are designed for human consumption so it is umlikely there are high levels of anything that can't be consumed by you or your tort safely. Lettuce isn't harmful, it's just low I fibre and has a high water content, so it shouldn't form the bulk of the diet. Giving your tort some natural browse on occasion like this is great for him though. Joe can clear an entire tray in one sitting, but then he can eat an entire lettuce in one go as well.

Feed your tort as normal, but have the tray in the enclosure too so that he can browse when he feels like

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like you are offering a very good diet over all. Adding some of this spring mix, or living lettuce would be fine.