Question or help: white stuff after soak

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This morning I was soaking my 3 month old Sulcata Tortoise and after a little while of being in the soak white stuff appeared in the water that I don’t believe is poop. Also would like to add that I use new fresh warm water for each soak so it could not have been the waterIMG_1540401892.287254.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
It was stringier looking until I took him out and the water moved it
That is urates - completely normal. Tortoises do not create urea like humans do. Their metabolism (birds too) creates uric acid that is not as water soluable. This allow the uric acid to precipitate into semi-solid urates they can expell and not have to use precious water to "pee". The more water they have available, the more they will volutarily release their water and take in new water - lowering the uric acid concentration. So a well hydrated tortoise with good access to water will have less urates forming as the concentration is not has high. HIgher protein diets seem to allow for more urates as uric acid is a product of protein metabolism. I also believe lower body temperatures for the tortoise can cause more urates to form as uric acid's soluability is dramatically effected by temperatures.