questions about outdoor living conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
hi all,
i have a couple of questions concerning outside temps. i read on this forum that outside temps for hermmanns should be 85-90 degrees daytime and nighttime should be 60. well i live in southern california along the coast. more specifically redondo beach. it rarely gets up to 90. for example today is supposed to be pretty hot with a high of 82 and a low of 58.
my question is, since its going to drop below 60 tonight, should i bring the tortoise inside? and since it will rarely get to a high of 90. what should i do about the basking temp for him?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Nope, you'll be fine. I live in the Central Valley, and my three Hermann's life outside year round. Lows reach freezing in the winter, and my lows are lower than yours at any particular time of year. My high temps are much higher, but as long as your tortoise can bask in direct sun, he'll reach the temps he needs. I know people in the SF bay area that keep their Hermann's outside, and they get surprisingly warm even on foggy days with just a little sun breaking through in the afternoon. Main thing is access to sunlight on dry surfaces.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
supremelysteve said:
Nope, you'll be fine. I live in the Central Valley, and my three Hermann's life outside year round. Lows reach freezing in the winter, and my lows are lower than yours at any particular time of year. My high temps are much higher, but as long as your tortoise can bask in direct sun, he'll reach the temps he needs. I know people in the SF bay area that keep their Hermann's outside, and they get surprisingly warm even on foggy days with just a little sun breaking through in the afternoon. Main thing is access to sunlight on dry surfaces.

thank you very much for the advice. its very comforting to know that whenever i have any questions i know where to turn to for the answers. it take a lot of the guess work out

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Simply put-you live in Southern California-Hermann's will thrive there outdoors year round.

Two thirds of all my Eastern Hermann's have never been indoors. They live outdoors 24/7/365 and hibernate on average 5 1/2 months of the year. It's usually below freezing temperatures here most of the winter. They also hibernate in the wild because of the cold winter temperatures.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Get yourself a piece of dark-colored slate or dark-colored tile and lay it down in your tort's enclosure...it'll absorb heat and your tort will quickly learn that that is his/her basking spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.