Can hermanns go outside in UK weather?

PetPlanet

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I know tortoises should be outside but in the UK it can be freezing even in the summer and I was wondering if a hermanns should go outside? I am worried since it is very rarely even 16°c over here ( even in summer ). Could you please help me out. Any other info would be very helpful as well! Thanks.

Laura Currado

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland County, MI
Knew someone who grew up w/ garden Hermanns. Don't know where in England she was but the tort spent most of its time outside except when the weather was too cold. Nicki told me the tort is still living in the garden w/ her aunt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have many, many members in the UK who keep Greeks and Hermann's. Please keep coming back to this thread to see if you have received replies from them. I know that many UK members keep their tortoises in the garden, but I don't know the specifics.

fukkatsu

5 Year Member
I live in Yorkshire and when I put my Hermanns outside in the summer they often end up hiding rather than basking... the oldest is 4 years old.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

tracey4706

Hi, I live in West Sussex and my Hermanns is now 7 yrs old. She has been spending most of the summer outdoors for the past few years only staying in on really cold or wet days. Last summer I got her a Bunny House cut off the legs and she loved going in it when she got tired or cold and also off the first summer stayed in it overnight during June July and August otherwise I put her in a box in the garage overnight. She has already been spending some time outdoors this year on sunny days and loves it.

Natalie Jean

Uk, Cornwall
I live in Cornwall and have this dilemma too! I've decided that most of the time it's just too cold! I've only had my hermanns since November and she lives inside almost all the time. I take her out to parks on the odd sunny day but not for too long as I worry she will get to cold. I've just bought her an outside enclosure which I'm starting to do up so I can get her out on that rare 'warm' day! X

Kele7710

5 Year Member
My vet said to me not to put Stanley outside until it's 20 C

StuMac

5 Year Member
Up in Aberdeenshire there has been a couple of warmer days. I only let her out when there is very little wind, as up here the sun can be shining, the sky clear, but have a right cold wind blowing through. I had her out on Monday and she wandered all over. Our garden is fully enclosed so she is safe and can't go anywhere. But she usually has a walk, nibbles some weeds then heads to her favourite spot by the garage and buries herself. I'm out there the whole time with her. I leaver her out there for as long as the sun is shining and I feel she won't be getting cold. Then inside for a nice warm soak and some fresh food.

Monday afternoon she did this.......

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395823303.183262.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PetPlanet

Thank you, i will take mine out when it is warm enough and make sure the garden is fully closed off, by the way I love your tortoise.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Thanks! I love taking photos so I have a tonne of them...my friends think I'm slightly obsessed with both photography and torts, so the two make a good combination!

Here's another just in case you haven't seen it on another thread....I find them and their habits fascinating.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1395856022.915701.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

StuMac

5 Year Member
I have a girl. She's called Peaches. I think she is around 8(?). She was found 4 years ago in a street in Aberdeen, and when no owner could be traced she ended up with a friend of mine who is a reptile collector/exhibitor....and when I mentioned I was looking for a tort, he offered her to me. I've had her just over a year. Custom made her enclosure, potter about everyday when I'm home adding things and spraying her down. Daily soaks etc. this forum has been a great place to learn too. I'd love a Redfoot. There is one for sale in a reptile shop near me, I just don't have space for another enclosure. [PENSIVE FACE]

smudger67

Hi.
We have two 6 month olds and the last few weeks the sun has been out on the odd day in devon so we have been putting them out for a few hours, they seem to love it. We built a pen that is covered so nothing can get to them and bring them in about 4ish.