Is this a Hermanns tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloBella

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North of England
HI

This is the first time I've posted on here. I've recently adopted a 6 year old tortoise from a friend of mine who is moving abroad. My friend has always believed she was a Hermanns and has reared her as such, however the more I read about the differences between species, the more I find my tortoise Bella is ticking the boxes for a Horsfield tortoise.

This is concerning as I understand although Horsfields are more hardy to temperature fluctuations, Hermanns are more resiliant to the damp environment of a UK garden and can be kept outside during the summer.

I have posted some pictures below, could anyone identify whicch species my Bella is. (And if she's a Hermanns, which sub-species?)

Many Thanks :shy:

Attachments

• IMAG0091.jpg
    IMAG0091.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 202
  • IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 197

jwang1983

5 Year Member
HelloBella said:
HI

This is the first time I've posted on here. I've recently adopted a 6 year old tortoise from a friend of mine who is moving abroad. My friend has always believed she was a Hermanns and has reared her as such, however the more I read about the differences between species, the more I find my tortoise Bella is ticking the boxes for a Horsfield tortoise.

This is concerning as I understand although Horsfields are more hardy to temperature fluctuations, Hermanns are more resiliant to the damp environment of a UK garden and can be kept outside during the summer.

I have posted some pictures below, could anyone identify whicch species my Bella is. (And if she's a Hermanns, which sub-species?)

Many Thanks :shy:

That is a Russian tortoise, Hermann is more higher domed.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It is a Russian (Steppe, Horsfield, Asian-all acceptable common names) tortoise, Testudo horsfieldi. They are temperate desert species. They tolerate very cold temperates well but dampness at cool temperatures should be avoided at all costs. Ambient humidity should be in the mid range, 45-55%.

Status
Not open for further replies.