Questions about RT

RussianTortoiseFan

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hi! I'm buying my first Russian Tortoise soon and just had a few questions. I have a pretty small enclosure for him right now (it's just temporary, I'm planning on upgrading it next summer), so he won't have a ton of space. Because of this, I wanted to let him roam the backyard occasionally to get some sunshine and exercise. I know there are a lot of people that say this is a terrible idea, so I'm not sure if I should go through with it. Is it okay to let him out once a week if I make sure he stays on the patio and doesn't eat anything?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
The reason its a terrible idea is unless its a safely enclosed space, at some point you WILL lose eyes on him, and then its only a hope and prayer if you find him. So so many people have done what you are suggesting, it didn't have a happy ending. You can do it, but its a risk

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First how small is the indoor enclosure now?
If it's too small, you won't be able to give the range of temps he needs and he won't get the exercise he needs to keep muscle strength

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
You say you are "buying" one, if from a breeder are you getting a baby? If you are, then I assume you have one of those 2x3' "tortoise houses" you can buy online. For babies space is not the issue with them, its that you need it to be enclosed to keep the humidity in. If they are not a baby, then yes, they are too small, for an adult.

How old are they telling you it is?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it's about 3 foot by 2 foot... yes I know that's way too small...
If you already know this then why get a tortoise that may just get ill or worse in it?
Either go bigger now or wait until you can.
Is this a hatchling you are getting or an adult?
A hatchling needs a closed chamber so it could work for a short time if you get it enclosed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm so curious about this. I'm adopting a Russian Tortoise in a few weeks. We will be building him am outdoor enclosure but also wondered if we could let him out occasionally to roam about (with supervision). I've also seen people put little tracking devices on them. I thought that was a good idea to be extra safe.
No, it is a bad idea. Build a safe enclosure outside and then you can let him out for short times as a hatchling, 24/7 in warm months as an adult

RussianTortoiseFan

Nevada
It's an adult male tortoise. I think it's imported.
If you already know this then why get a tortoise that may just get ill or worse in it?
Either go bigger now or wait until you can.
Is this a hatchling you are getting or an adult?
A hatchling needs a closed chamber so it could work for a short time if you get it enclosed
I got the enclosure earlier on and just recently discovered how small it really was. I could probably just buy a bookshelf and turn it into a better enclosure, I just need to save up more money.

RussianTortoiseFan

Nevada
Thank you, you are so right. I was researching this yesterday and thought he might be okay for a few months, but I really don't want to make him miserable.

Reactions: Ink

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It's an adult male tortoise. I think it's imported.

Ok, so don't take this the wrong way, but whatever you are doing, its not good. Its like you paying $5,000 for a mixed breed/mutt dog to be sent to you from the streets of Europe. Adult wild caught Russian Tortoises are all over craigslist, Petco sells wild caught Russians as well (though I don't recommend supporting them). Any Tortoise Rescue out there will have a half dozen just waiting for homes. If you really wanted a captive bred Russian for ethical reasons, that might be a reason to get one from a breeder, but what you are doing doesn't make sense, AND you aren't giving it enough space. Most people would buy from a breeder for a baby.

You can buy several more of them and string them together like a habit-trail (see photo), you also could try to repurpose a bookcase, that will work too. But what you should not do is spend money on a wild caught adult Russian and then put it in a 2x3" box. Its literally the worst of all worlds for you and the tortoise.

Attachments

• Fezzik full4.jpg
    Fezzik full4.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1

RussianTortoiseFan

Nevada
I'm getting him from TortoiseSupply which I hear is a reputable place to get them. I just looked at it again and realized that they breed their tortoises, so they're not caught from the wild.

RussianTortoiseFan

Nevada
So sorry I really should've done more research before I wasted all that money. I've done more research now and feel more confident, but the enclosure really needs to be fixed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm getting him from TortoiseSupply which I hear is a reputable place to get them. I just looked at it again and realized that they breed their tortoises, so they're not caught from the wild.
No, I don't believe he has any imports. He is reputable but does not do the closed chamber high humidity like all babies need.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry I really should've done more research before I wasted all that money. I've done more research now and feel more confident, but the enclosure really needs to be fixed.
See if @Carol S has any babies. She would be better to buy from anyway as she starts them right.
Then your small enclosure will work for a short time, as long as you made a tent like enclosure over it to make it a closed chamber.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Well if it makes you feel better, you're not alone. Most people do what you are doing. DO find out if he's sending you a baby or an adult, that will make a big difference.

Can you return the tort house? I "inherited" two when I got a rescue, and it was cheaper for me to buy two more and make the setup I showed you but again mine is an adult so it makes a big difference.

You also can buy a greenhouse cover to make it more humid and warm and turn it pretty easily into an enclosed chamber

RussianTortoiseFan

Nevada
Okay thank you. I'll try to return the enclosure, but do you think it will be big enough if I get two more and make a bigger cage?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Okay thank you. I'll try to return the enclosure, but do you think it will be big enough if I get two more and make a bigger cage?

Three is not really big enough for a full time enclosure, I would at least try 4 until you can get something larger. Also are you sure its an adult? That will make a big difference