Questions (Tom & Neal Look :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
Sorry had to label this for Tom and Neal to look at. Was going to PM you both but then thought, nah.. might as well see what everyone else thinks too.

I might be getting a vivarium soon, rather a decent sized one too, so was going to see about getting a few baby Leopards. Only I really want some GPP rather than GPB. I don't know if i'll be able to get hold of any GPP or get them sent to the UK but i'm going to try my hardest.

So my questions are:
Can a GPP live with GPB?
As you know i'm going to be trying to get a herd together next year. I want to breed GPP as from what i've been told we don't have GPP's over here so it'd be nice to start breeding them and get that species of leopard around here.
However, Squirt is a GPB and she'd have to go with the herd of GPP. So can she live with GPP or not?!

Also whilst i'm posting this thread I might as well ask some other questions that have been rattling round my brain, dying to be asked.

What age do Tortoises become able to breed and lay eggs?
Also what sort of ages can be mixed together?

Thank you :)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Ya GPB 's can live with GPP's as hatchling's but I would move them into separate enclosures before they breeding size:) I have two GPP's two GPB's and a hybrid in same table but will be separating them as they get bigger

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Thanks Corey.

I was talking about keeping Squirt with them whilst they stayed a herd. It'll be hard to keep her separate when the herd enclosure i'm planning is quite big.

Hmm... I'll have to perhaps just keep Squirt inside like she is now and then have an outdoor enclosure for her separate for during the day.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
stephiiberrybean said:
Can a GPP live with GPB?

However, Squirt is a GPB and she'd have to go with the herd of GPP. So can she live with GPP or not?!

What age do Tortoises become able to breed and lay eggs?
Also what sort of ages can be mixed together?

Thank you :)

They can live together...as long as neither have internal parasites and are in good health. I would always recommend having a fecal exam done with any new tortoise before placing them with one you already have. Once you get that and everything is OK, as far as parasites and illness goes, GPB and GPP can be placed in the same enclosure.

I keep mine separate even as hatchlings for a couple of reasons. Typically a GPP is going to grow a lot faster than a GPB. I don't like my tortoises to compete for space or food or the like...but as you can imagine, most competitions between tortoises will be won by the bigger. So, if you do house them together, you need to make sure your smaller GPB would be getting enough food, and doesn't have to fight for the best hiding spots or anything. Another reason is genetic preservation...there is so much diversity with leopard tortoises in the wild. If you have a reasonably legitimate source to obtain a specimen from a known locality, I would encourage you to segregate them for genetic preservation purposes.

For a leopard, it could take somewhere between 8 - 10 years before reaching a breeding size. That depends on a lot of factors, such as husbandry and genetics.

I don't think age plays as much of a factor as size. I think it would be smart to break up groups according to size. As mentioned above, there could be some issues when dealing with tortoises of different sizes that are housed together.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
RE: Questions (Tom & Neal Look :D)

Thank you Neal :)

I did wonder about keeping them together when it came to breeding and whether or not having a GPB could effect how "pure" (for lack of a better word) the GPP's are. I hope that makes sense.

I guess I'll either have to stick to GPBs or keep Squirt separate and get the GPPs.
Hmmm... Decisions, decisions!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
RE: Questions (Tom & Neal Look :D)

stephiiberrybean said:
Thank you Neal :)

I did wonder about keeping them together when it came to breeding and whether or not having a GPB could effect how "pure" (for lack of a better word) the GPP's are. I hope that makes sense.

I guess I'll either have to stick to GPBs or keep Squirt separate and get the GPPs.
Hmmm... Decisions, decisions!

If you had a GPP breed with a GPB you would have some hybrid's which is not a pure GPP:(

Status
Not open for further replies.