quick newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

grasspack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello,

I have a CB 2010 Hermanns that I have had for a 6 days. The first couple days she hid but now she is out and about and exploring. I have found her twice upside down...which scared the crap out of me. So, now I find myself checking on her every second. What can I do to prevent this? She is on cypress mulch on one half of her enclosure and coconut coir and organic potting soil on the other side. It has happened on both sides, so it doesn't seem to be the substrate. Thanks and Happy Valentines Day....

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
Look around your enclosure and see what would cause her to tip over either remove it or make it so it will not cause her to flip. When one of mine kept flipping it was because he would try and climb over one of his hide, so what I did is bury it deeper into the substrate so it was only a little bump, he could and would climb over it but it would not flip him upside down when he did. This will happen until she gets larger and does not tip over so easy. This hide is now back to where it was originally and he still climbs over it but because he is larger now he does not flip over. It seems to be a phase it will pass with time hopefully.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are pretty territorial, and when placed in a new environment, they try to escape back to their original territory. She's probably trying to climb the walls. She'll settle down eventually.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
She is using the bars to try and climb, mine do it all the time, just put some rough stone near to the bars so when she climbs and falls she has got something to help get her back on her feet.

I check on mine twice a day to see if any are upside down, Henri is always doing it, silly old fool:D

Status
Not open for further replies.