Quick question :) about Komodo pellets

Scottyoh123

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi guys,

I have had my tortoise now for coming up to a year a little Hermann called Donny (because that's my favourite ninja turtle haa) and I have been giving him romaine lettuce and mixed lettuce not normal lettuce because that's not good for him and I have been growing weeds and cress and all that but I just want to vary is a diet a little more are these things good for a Hermann just as a treat or not? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1466422150.236134.jpg
Thank you guys in advance :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi

I am in the UK too and use Komodo to supplement Joe's diet in the winter months just before and after hibernation when the weeds are hard to find They need to be thoroughly soaked in plain water before feeding.

You shouldn't need them at this time of year though.

The lettuce you are feeding is a poor diet alone. It's low in fibre and lacks nutrients. It's better than standard lettuce, but only just. You need to get much more variety in your tort's diet.

There is so much growing outside that you can pick for free at the moment.

Take a look at what you can pick and what you can buy and look them up on The Tortoise Table (TTT) Plant Database for suitability - they have a Plant Booklet download and android app too to help with plant identification

http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

Scottyoh123

UK
Hey thank you so much for your reply I don't use give him lettuce I throw in cress and weeds and I put the supplements sprinkled on top I live in a flat without a garden which I feel guilty for however I am moving start of next year which I will have a garden :) I am currently growing the pro rep tortoise growing kit aswell to throw some varied options in for him I do have the pro rep substrate and I have cuttlefish in there for him :) the only issue is getting the weeds is there any good shop brought stuff I could get?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a nice food list put together by one of our members (Tom):

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Those are some great weeds in that kit!

It must be hard to find things in a city. Since I have no clue what shops are near you, if any, here are the suggestions I would give anyone:

What kind of stores are near you?

An Iranian or Middle Eastern store might have fresh grape leaves this time of year. Interestingly enough, I just found these dried ones online: http://www.souschef.co.uk/vine-leaves.html. I've never seen them before. Might be worth a try in winter, soaked.

They will also likely have fenugreek (shanbalileh). It's safe but not every tort will eat it.

An Indian market will have fenugreek (methi) also.

At your own store, radish tops (preferably organic), turnip tops (you'll probably have to buy the turnips!), and mustard greens are okay in moderation. I presume the lettuces you are providing are mostly chicories (endive, frisee, radicchio, regular chicory)?

Are there "natural" type groceries where you are? They will likely have dandelions all years, possibly some edible nettles now Possibly purslane or a stalk of aloe, which are good on occasion.

If you have an Asian or Hmong store of any kind, just go in and check it out. In the spring/summer thry sell all kinds of things westerners don't usually eat. I can get a ton of stuff here but we have large Asian and Indian populations.

If you know anyone with a garden, do they have a unsprayed squash plant or a grape vine?

Good luck!

Scottyoh123

UK
Hi thank you all for your reply I just have a tesco express :( so I have nothing fancy which is a shame because I would buy a lot of different stuff for him if I could is florentine salad bag good?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi thank you all for your reply I just have a tesco express :( so I have nothing fancy which is a shame because I would buy a lot of different stuff for him if I could is florentine salad bag good?
@Scottyoh123.

Go to your store and write a list of all the greens you can see
Then go to the Tortoise Table link I posted earlier and have a look. Even Brussels sprouts are on there! :)

For mixed salad bags, you need to look to see what's in them.

You don't have to get a variety every day. Buy one thing and add to your weed mix. When it's used up (owning a tort is good for your own 5 a day intake) then buy something different.