Quick question: air flow in tank

Jenblalock003

Hey guys! So a few days ago we got a 40 gallon tank for the 2 babies, which they love btw. I have about 80% coconut coir and 20% organic soil, also Forrest moss and couple pieces of cypress mulch. The high end temp stays about 95-98, and the lower about 78. I used Yvonne's idea with the closed enclosure using tin foil to keep humidity in. My humidity is still only about 70% with the substrate dampened. I also spray constantly. But my main question is with everything being so sealed shut, can the babies breathe? I remember reading that they need air flow. Please help!

Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When you lift the lid to feed, water, and whatever else you may lift the lid for, that gives and air exchange that has proven to be working. Also, unless you have the lights inside the tank, you most likely will also get some air exchange where the lights don't fit quite perfect

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I used pretty much the same set up as you have for my baby and never had a problem. Not once did I see him gasping for air. Seriously, Barb is right that they get enough air exchange when you open it up for feeding, soaking, cleaning, and misting.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Agree..

Do you have plans for an outdoor enclosure too? As the weather gets better, spending some time outdoors is invaluable.:)

Jenblalock003

Team Gomberg said:
Agree..

Do you have plans for an outdoor enclosure too? As the weather gets better, spending some time outdoors is invaluable.:)

Makes me feel better Ty! Yes as soon as it gets warmer they will have outside time and once they get bigger (they are 2.5 inches) they will have a place outside. It's 45 F outside now sooooo gotta wait a couple of mth. But I'm in New Orleans so soon enough it will be 85F and 85% humidity :)