Re: Anole hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindyrae4

5 Year Member
My pet anoles laid eggs & we see a baby anole in the tank today. Should I separate the baby anole from the parents? is baby in danger of being eaten by parents? Or should I just let nature take it's course?

Attachments

• IMG_3315.JPG
    IMG_3315.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85

ra94131

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
If you let nature take it's course, the hatchling probably won't make. It's possible an adult could eat him, but it's also notoriously difficult to feed younger anoles in captivity. In a bioactive enclosure, springtails sometimes function as a good "starter" for the very small lizards until they can handle larger prey. Also, be sure to mist the enclosure to allow the baby to drink water droplets off of the vegetation. (You may already be doing this, as it is the preferred method for adults to drink as well.)

Best of luck with little one(s)!

EDIT: If you live in an area where these guys thrive, you could also consider moving the little guy outside. Mortality is high, but it'd give him a fair chance of success.

cindyrae4

5 Year Member
Hi! thanks for responding! My two anoles were a rescue. I live in the North East where it's cold. I wasn't trying to breed. So we were pleasantly surprised! So we did rescue the first two when they were very tiny. I put the new one in a separate tank & have put in small crickets & am spraying 2x daily. Your response was a confirmation of my feelings! Tx for the encouragement. If the little one learns to eat his first cricket, then I know he'll make it! :)

zman7590

5 Year Member
adults will eat them. free food. i have leopard geckos and they will eat the babys if you dont seperate

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hi!-
I have a Sulcata tortoise and a anoel. His name is Jerry. He is just beautiful. I don't think they would try to eat him. Take him into another habitat separate from the one with his parents if you are still worried.

cindyrae4

5 Year Member
Here is baby anole in his own tank. I'm hoping he'll eat fruit flies or a cricket. We'll see. TY for all your responses!

Attachments

• IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.