Really need some help with my enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
Hello guys I would appreciate any feedback. Ok so I have a 4ftx8ft tortoise table for my Sulcatas. I built it around a year ago and it's open top. Well after I did research and realized open tops really aren't good for holding in humidity I've decided to convert it into a closed chambers enclosure. When I built it I didnt seal the wood and instead just put down lenolium flooring on the bottom and the sides. Well now in several spots the tortoises have dug and totally ripped the flooring. Im in the process of making it into a closed chambers enclosure now. I just finished the top and I wasn't going to do anything to the inside but since theres going to be so much humidity ive decided to take out the lenolium and seal the wood. Can I get by with just putting a few coats of polyurethane on the inside and not worry about using a liner because they just seem to tear it and rip it. Also should I paint it after I poly the inside? And is this polyurethane ok to use? Thanks so much!!ImageUploadedByTortForum1376515278.611815.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376515327.304480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Hi, the fast drying polyurethane in your picture is NOT for moisture protection, its for interior purpose. I used it in past, no good for long lasting application. Given the moisture/humidity you are trying to create, you will need polyurethane for outdoor furniture such as Helmsman Sap Urethane from Home Depot. You will need few coats, 3-4 is best, sand down the first coat lightly after it dries with 220 sand paper. 3rd and 4th coat should be on the heavy side. Dry well between each coat. You must Let fume off for about a week in good ventilated dry area before putting torts in, longer in cooler moist area. Do not paint. First month I'd still leave some fresh air going in just to be on the safe side. Should last long time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TortForum mobile app

You will also need to do sides and top of the inside to prevent mold. Another words everything in the chamber. If you are trying to completely waterproof the bottom, more coats and heavy. Also the corners in and inside edges. You can also use epoxy on the bottom and few inches up the wall instead. Faster, more waterproof but more $. Either way ,Be sure to do this in well ventilated area!

*Helmsman Spar Urethane

As far as tort digging, if they dug thru linoleum, they will scratch the poly down. Epoxy is much harder. You can also put down bath wall fitter plastic sheet. Its cheap, hard smooth slippery surface won't allow the claws to dig in. Hope all this helps some

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Omg thank you sooo much that's really going to help me! And I didn't even realize I got the wrong polyurethane. And now that I read the back it says for inside use only. Glad you pointed that out!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Yamaha4x4_19 said:
Omg thank you sooo much that's really going to help me! And I didn't even realize I got the wrong polyurethane. And now that I read the back it says for inside use only. Glad you pointed that out!

The good thing is you can return it even if it is open and say you got the wrong one. Atleast you didn't spent the money and then went to waist. Would love to see it when it is all done.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Recommend 1 gallon gloss, its smoother then clear satin, easier to wash, also smoother surface attracts less dirt = less chances for mold to grow on

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Thanks so much! I'll def get gloss when I return this stuff I got. Since I don't wanna use a liner. What do you guys think about tiling and grouting the bottom and maybe 6 inches up the sides?

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
I just went to Lowes and this was the only epoxy they had. It looks like its made for concrete not wood?ImageUploadedByTortForum1376532356.926868.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376532382.493111.jpg

mikeh

5 Year Member
Epoxy Resin, should be same isle right next to spar urethane. Tiling will work too, just will make table heavy.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Thanks again! So they make epoxy specifically for wood?

And this epoxy is safe for torts? Have you ever used it in your enclosures?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Epoxy resin is used on wood that is in direct contact with water such as bar tops, marine use, etc. You can eat from it once its cured. You also just need one coat as its very thick, you pour it in and spread it. Yes, I have used it for bottom of my enclosure to make it waterproof.1376581247985.jpg1376581275799.jpg

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Ok I'll look tonight at Lowes when I go hopefully they have it! Your enclosures look great btw. Thanks once again. Looks like I should have just had you build my enclosure lol

Status
Not open for further replies.