Reccomendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xLilliax

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North of GR, Michigan
Sulcata, Russian, or Redfooted Tortoise
Which do you guys reccomend? We've had a russian tortoise before but we had to get rid of him too quickly because we moved, but now that we are in a stable home, we have decided to try again. I want to do everything right this time around, and make sure I get the tort that is best for me! I want one that can be personable and friendly with everyday handling, what do you guys recommend?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Depends on where you live, how much space you can provide, etc. Where are you located?

All 3 are great choices (and very different, almost polar opposites of each other:)). I've been happier with my redfoots than my russians. My redfoots are more personable and all-around more enjoyable.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
xLilliax said:
Sulcata, Russian, or Redfooted Tortoise
Which do you guys reccomend? We've had a russian tortoise before but we had to get rid of him too quickly because we moved, but now that we are in a stable home, we have decided to try again. I want to do everything right this time around, and make sure I get the tort that is best for me! I want one that can be personable and friendly with everyday handling, what do you guys recommend?

Indulge yourself with the most personable of all tortoises...the Hermann's. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lillia:

No one can really make this decision for you. There are too many variables involved. We don't know your yard situation ( a tortoise really needs to be outside when the weather is good). We don't know how big an area indoors you can dedicate to a tortoise for when the weather isn't good for tortoises.

We DO have a few Michigan members here on the forum. Hopefully some of them will come on and let you know what kind of tortoises they keep. But do your reading. Find out about each kind of tortoise you are considering. Then if you have specific questions for us we'll be happy to answer them for you.

Just from where you are located, I would say that rules OUT a sulcata. Its pretty hard to keep them indoors during the winter unless you can dedicate a whole room to them. They require quite a bit of space.

Most tortoises do just fine as an only tortoise. They really do prefer to be alone.

Welcome to the forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Since you are in the frozen North, I'd get one that hibernates like the russian. Terry's suggestion of a hermanns is a good one too. I love sulcatas, but what would you do with it during the winter in a few short years? Not very practical. I can also tell you from experience that its pretty hard to maintain humidity for a red foot in a normal heated house. I have problems maintaining humidity even in closed enclosures.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
From the information you give us I would recommend a captive bred, one year or older, Russian, Hermanns, or Greek tortoise. The Russian is probably the easier to find, and anecdotally possibly the most personable. They all stay smaller. Avoid the Sulcata in your climate and as a first time owner (they get huge and destructive and expensive). A redfoot is a possibility, but will require a large room size enclosure indoors in the cooler months, with high humidity (think dripping wet rain forest humidity), so another difficult feat.

Avoid the pet stores like Petco (they only sell wild caught Russians, and that isn't a trade you want to support). Look at Craig's List and other pet finder websites, animal shelters, etc. You might be able to find some breeder holdovers that are a bit older. Be patient and don't be afraid to spend a bit of money, because the couple hundred dollars for the tort is a small fraction of what you will spend long term. Have the enclosure all set up and such ahead of time, and some money set asside for both an initial vet check up and parasite test, and any future emergency bills (I like yearly check ups too, but that is more optional as long as you get regular fecal tests done for parasites). Avoid a hatchling (less than one year) because they are fragile and many times will break your heart.

Are you planning for an outdoor enclosure, bring the tort inside (or hibernating, but that is an option, not a requirement, and not something I'd recommend for a new owner nor the first year you have the tort) when the weather cools?

I don't think any tortoise is good for daily handling...they are the types of pets to be observed, not held, cuddled, or played with. It can stress them out to hold them and make them more shy. You also want to avoid letting them roam the house as that is dangerous (set up a large indoor enclosure and a large outdoor secure pen, which both have sufficient room for exercise, such as 10-20 sq ft indoors and something a few times that size outdoors...but not so large that the tort is stressed when it has to be indoors in the reduced space). I think its great to set up a sitting area next to the enclosure (or in, for an outdoor enclosure) so you can observe the tort, do a bit of hand feeding, etc. One exception to the handling rule is that you do want to pick up the tort to give it a once-over for health every 1-2 days, but when you say handling, I was assuming the let it crawl around the floor, play with it, carry it around, etc, sort of handling we tend to recommend avoiding here.

With the type of observation type interactions I describe, my tort is very personable and whenever we walk up to his enclosure he sticks his head up to greet us and say hello. The only thing that ever scares him now is if he gets snuck up on (he'll just jerk his head back in, but then come right back out when he knows we aren't going to hurt him). he knows his two parents vs. other household visitors. He'll eat from our hand when we hold out something (be careful as a tort can draw blood if they get you with their beak)...typically a couple bites of a healthy treat daily...but thats not something you want to do too much because they will then refuse their regular food...hehe they can get spoiled easily. Moreso we do a bit of hand feeding for both interaction and so when we have to give him meds he will take them on food by hand. Russians are little piggies too.

Check out russiantortoise.org for some great info, as well as the Russian and Enclosure sections here. Carolinapetsupply.com and some other sites sell seed mixes for tortoises which you can set up part of your yard for to make some nice graze (make sure the yard has been chemical free for 6 months before the tort roams on it, and you need a secure enclosure, which may involve using wire over the whole thing in case of predators).

Congrats on doing your research and waiting until you now have a stable home! A tortoise is more than a life long commitment. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.