Red-eared slider

Nirvan Gurung

I have been keeping this red eared slider for almost 2 years now and have always been having some issues with it, whenever I introduce it to other red eared sliders that I have bought, my tortoise will always stay away from it but then the next day, the new tortoise dies. Whenever I hold it, it acts aggressive towards me. Now, I can NEVER put another tortoise in its habitat without it attacking the new tortoises. How do I solve this problem, am I caring for it the wrong way or is it just an aggressive species?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Yes, RES are aggressive. I've never been able to find one that doesn't try to bite when picked up. They can get along together, though. I have 6 right now in the same water trough waiting for someone to come adopt them.

I think maybe your water container (aquarium?) is too small and your turtle doesn't want to share that small space with another turtle.

Post a picture of your turtle and her container and maybe we can offer you some suggestions.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have been keeping this red eared slider for almost 2 years now and have always been having some issues with it, whenever I introduce it to other red eared sliders that I have bought, my tortoise will always stay away from it but then the next day, the new tortoise dies. Whenever I hold it, it acts aggressive towards me. Now, I can NEVER put another tortoise in its habitat without it attacking the new tortoises. How do I solve this problem, am I caring for it the wrong way or is it just an aggressive species?
Tenacious little buggers is the phrase that comes to mind with this awesome turtle...they are great, they are a bit pissy and will blow air at you when you pick them up and will hold their mouth wide open like a gator daring you to put a body part in there...but they a turtle that also packs a big fun personality in that little shell...just don't take their pissyness personal

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
  • What evil red-eared sliders have you people come across? I have had them for over 30 years I've only had one or two aggressive ones most of them very docile. They are very awesome Turtle though. you're probably keeping too many and too small of a space mine were in a big outdoor pond so maybe that makes a big difference

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please keep torts separated: these cute little animals do not like/want/need company. They'd rather be alone.

Pics of your torts and enclosure would be of help, here.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please keep torts separated: these cute little animals do not like/want/need company. They'd rather be alone.

Pics of your torts and enclosure would be of help, here.
RES are usually OK together Gillian. See the earlier posts :)

Daniel Freel

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I have 2 red ear sliders house with 2 Eastern painted turtles. They get along great with each other and love to bask in a group. I did have to give away a big female as she was a bully towards the rest.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
I have two RES in a pond with a Southern Painted--all female, and they get along great. There's no aggression toward me when I pick them up either. In every species, I believe, there are those who are aggressive toward any companion. When that is discovered, immediate precautions must be taken.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
Need Info .My 2 RES have grown up together (9 years old) and are in a 40 gallon breeder tank just for the winter since first part of Sept.. They have always been the best buds. I notice today that the male was trying to bite the female and being very aggressive. First time I seen him do this. I separated them so she wouldn't get hurt. Is this a baby making thing? I've never had any this age before. And if I keep them separated for the winter will I be able to put together again outside in their 100 gallon pond in the summer?

Lemonade

5 Year Member
You did the right thing separating them. I would be hesitant about keeping them together in the pond too. Maybe someone else thinks differently? But 1 on 1 ratio with most species ends up being just too much harassment on the female. Plus, they produce babies like crazy, and there are already too many homeless RES.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a pair of any species is a bad idea. This could be breeding it could be aggression it's hard to say but whatever it is it's not going to stop. I kept as many as 35 red ear sliders together at one time but that was in an outdoor pond.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Need Info .My 2 RES have grown up together (9 years old) and are in a 40 gallon breeder tank just for the winter since first part of Sept.. They have always been the best buds. I notice today that the male was trying to bite the female and being very aggressive. First time I seen him do this. I separated them so she wouldn't get hurt. Is this a baby making thing? I've never had any this age before. And if I keep them separated for the winter will I be able to put together again outside in their 100 gallon pond in the summer?

I'm going to say territory thing, how big are they.? I can't imagine they both are comfortable in a 40 gallon tank.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
the female is 6 1/2 inches long and male about 6 inches. A friend gave them to me in early summer where her grandkids had raised them from hatchlings in a 10 gallon aquarium. Go figure. I put them outside in a kiddie pool for the summer and since then they have grow . Thanks everyone for your input. They will stay separated