Red Foot Growth

Jaxattack

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hey, I have a Red foot tortoise about 3, 3 and half years old. When I got him I was new to reptiles and he was definitely not in the proper conditions. I wasn't feeding him enough and had him in an open enclosure with harsh lighting. I think he is stunted. He's around 6 inches in length. I feel horrible, but other that he seems very healthy. His appetite is good, his eyes look great. Is it too late for him to grow to normal size? Am I doing anything wrong with diet? I feed him around every other day, usually a variety of fruits and a good ammount of leafy greens. Every once in a while I throw in deli meat, peanut butter or eggs. Should I change his diet?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Hey, I have a Red foot tortoise about 3, 3 and half years old. When I got him I was new to reptiles and he was definitely not in the proper conditions. I wasn't feeding him enough and had him in an open enclosure with harsh lighting. I think he is stunted. He's around 6 inches in length. I feel horrible, but other that he seems very healthy. His appetite is good, his eyes look great. Is it too late for him to grow to normal size? Am I doing anything wrong with diet? I feed him around every other day, usually a variety of fruits and a good ammount of leafy greens. Every once in a while I throw in deli meat, peanut butter or eggs. Should I change his diet?
I would stop the deli meat and the peanut butter. Give him boiled plain chicken or Mazuri pellets, mealworms or super worms. Give him animal protein once a week. Also I recommend feeding him every day.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Also 6" is about right size for that age. He should be big enough to use the Donoghue Ratio to make sure he's on the right track.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would stop the deli meat and the peanut butter. Give him boiled plain chicken or Mazuri pellets, mealworms or super worms. Give him animal protein once a week. Also I recommend feeding him every day.
Agreed
Feed him nothing processed.
Only fresh items

Jaxattack

Ohio
Really? That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you guys so much, I will get him those pellets.

pelchat22

Quebec
Dont worry :) mine is 6 inch too and 3 years old. Some are bigger but it could be the male/female growth difference. Pretty sure mine a female with small tail.

THey really like mazuri! Its like coke for them. Go with it anyway but watchout if they dont want to eat anything else after mazuri.

Attachments

• 20231130_063854.jpg
    20231130_063854.jpg
    751.2 KB · Views: 3

Jaxattack

Ohio
Also 6" is about right size for that age. He should be big enough to use the Donoghue Ratio to make sure he's on the right track.
Hey, I just read up on hoe to properly measure. With his head extended he's like 6 but SCL is only like 4.5.

Jaxattack

Ohio
Dont worry :) mine is 6 inch too and 3 years old. Some are bigger but it could be the male/female growth difference. Pretty sure mine a female with small tail.

THey really like mazuri! Its like coke for them. Go with it anyway but watchout if they dont want to eat anything else after mazuri.
Beutiful! Mac (my tort) has a much lighter coloration! His shell is almost light brown. Weird the differences between individuals!

pelchat22

Quebec
Beutiful! Mac (my tort) has a much lighter coloration! His shell is almost light brown. Weird the differences between individuals!
Yeah I heard that the difference is between south american country. Here is the post https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-different-races-of-redfoot-tortoise.6511/
I posted a picture of how she was as a baby.

For the measure, im not an expert but I will say to you 100% that if she eat and "the number 2" is good and the grow is consistent (weight every 2 week/1 month), its perfect. I prefer a healthty and slightly undergrow than an overgrown with pyramid.
Other member can give you their advice on that too.

Attachments

• 186452346_2995961380635876_2974971501914633302_n.jpg
    186452346_2995961380635876_2974971501914633302_n.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 1

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Hey, I just read up on hoe to properly measure. With his head extended he's like 6 but SCL is only like 4.5.
Oh! Yes you have to gently slide the front of his shell up against a solid flat object with his head in his shell the mark the spot at the back of the shell then return the tort to his condo. Then measure that distance. Do you have a scale that reads grams so you can weigh the tortoise?

Jaxattack

Ohio
Oh! Yes you have to gently slide the front of his shell up against a solid flat object with his head in his shell the mark the spot at the back of the shell then return the tort to his condo. Then measure that distance. Do you have a scale that reads grams so you can weigh the tortoise?
No but I will try to get one!