Red footed pyramiding

Angiegirl68

Location (City and/or State)
venice
My 12 year old red footed has high pyramids from when she was younger.
Is there anything I can do to stop them?
She's very active and seems happy. Lots of fun..
She lives outside here in Sarasota Florida area.
She has 2 huts to go into. Always fresh water and food.
She gets mixed greens ,romaine, cucumber,a little tomat,some fruit

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello. Your Redfoot can eat a HUGE variety of fresh foods. They can process sugars. Most other species can't and that ads dozens of other foods to the list. They are also omnivores since in the wild they are opportunistic feeders and eat carrion. You should provide some occasional protein. Boiled egg, Dog food, Mazuri tortoise chow 5M21, etc.
Because your RF lives outside like mine do. Be mindful of any food that attracts ants and don't leave it sitting around after the tort has walked away from it.
During the dryer winter months I use a sprinkler to raise the humidity. Once a day or two. 15 minutes or so to saturate the ground. You also need a shallow water "pond" area for your RF to soak in. The pyramiding is permanent. But you'll see new growth start to come in that is smoothe

Angiegirl68

venice
Hello. Your Redfoot can eat a HUGE variety of fresh foods. They can process sugars. Most other species can't and that ads dozens of other foods to the list. They are also omnivores since in the wild they are opportunistic feeders and eat carrion. You should provide some occasional protein. Boiled egg, Dog food, Mazuri tortoise chow 5M21, etc.
Because your RF lives outside like mine do. Be mindful of any food that attracts ants and don't leave it sitting around after the tort has walked away from it.
During the dryer winter months I use a sprinkler to raise the humidity. Once a day or two. 15 minutes or so to saturate the ground. You also need a shallow water "pond" area for your RF to soak in. The pyramiding is permanent. But you'll see new growth start to come in that is smoothe
She has a multiple living area. It's my lania that I turned into her home.
I laid out plastic- cover in different areas with river stone , wild grass, and untreated top soil. She has two huts,walking hill etc.
She has sun all day. If it gets under 70 at night she comes in.
Her diet is good but as you said "more protein". I was told No dog food. What are good proteins? She really enjoys the dried shrimp tails and crickets.I also give her powered calcium once a week from the pet store

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She has a multiple living area. It's my lania that I turned into her home.
I laid out plastic- cover in different areas with river stone , wild grass, and untreated top soil. She has two huts,walking hill etc.
She has sun all day. If it gets under 70 at night she comes in.
Her diet is good but as you said "more protein". I was told No dog food. What are good proteins? She really enjoys the dried shrimp tails and crickets.I also give her powered calcium once a week from the pet store
Wherever you're getting your information from, stop listening to it/them.
Trust this forum. We represent hundreds (thousands?) of keepers from all over the planet and we have real world up to the minute findings and information. So much of what you read or hear about elsewhere is based on some old, outdated and just wrong library books. The same ancient database that many veterarians STILL use.
I can't imagine that dried shrimp tails are harmful. But nutrition wise, they're probably not too helpful either. It's just keratin. Same thing with the crickets. Unless they were just gut loaded. They are also very low in protein or anything else. Are you against feeding fresh protein or prepared dog or cat food?
I'm not sure what the question is.
Just about any protein that you eat, he can eat. Just nothing processed and nothing seasoned. Fresh. And not just protein...
Almost anything fresh that you eat he can eat.

Angiegirl68

venice
Wherever you're getting your information from, stop listening to it/them.
Trust this forum. We represent hundreds (thousands?) of keepers from all over the planet and we have real world up to the minute findings and information. So much of what you read or hear about elsewhere is based on some old, outdated and just wrong library books. The same ancient database that many veterarians STILL use.
I can't imagine that dried shrimp tails are harmful. But nutrition wise, they're probably not too helpful either. It's just keratin. Same thing with the crickets. Unless they were just gut loaded. They are also very low in protein or anything else. Are you against feeding fresh protein or prepared dog or cat food?
I'm not sure what the question is.
Just about any protein that you eat, he can eat. Just nothing processed and nothing seasoned. Fresh. And not just protein...
Almost anything fresh that you eat he can eat.
Thank you very much for this info.
So she can have chicken & meat? Fresh fish?
I have dried cat food for her and vitamin powder. Plus she gets mixed greens , fruit, mushrooms cups & tomatoes.
She's all confused this month. Got hit with 2 hurricanes

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hard boiled egg, cut in half with the shell on and watch her enjoy.