Red footed tortoise don't eat fruit and general eating problems

Martellone

Location (City and/or State)
Italy
That's certainly a success! I think, you may start tracking his weight now :)

Would be glad to hear more updates and see more photos from you!
Hi.
Unfortunately after a good period of eating he stop eating again..this weekend he has eaten a good quantity of pineapple on saturday and five small cat kibble for cat sunday mixed with calcium and greens. And now he hasn't eaten since monday. And he doesn't want to eat today either.
Also on weekend he walk a lot on our balcony under sun because we had 25°c,i think more on balcony.
The enclosure temperatures are optimal and humidity too. He is quite active, drink but don't eat. And i don't understand why.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and happy birthday!

Were the cat kibbles dry or wet? If dry, they can take some time to pass through with help of drinking and long soaks.

Martellone

Italy
Hello and happy birthday!

Were the cat kibbles dry or wet? If dry, they can take some time to pass through with help of drinking and long soaks.
Thank you.

Wet, i put kibble in water for 20 min before to give him ..and this morning we soak them and produce a lot of poop.but don't eat

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
That sounds fine and should not cause any issues. Perhaps it's just a reaction to animal protein - my redfoot usually takes a "day off" if it was too much (sleeps more and almost stops eating).

I would not worry for a day or two more if he is active and well hydrated.

Martellone

Italy
That sounds fine and should not cause any issues. Perhaps it's just a reaction to animal protein - my redfoot usually takes a "day off" if it was too much (sleeps more and almost stops eating).

I would not worry for a day or two more if he is active and well hydrated.
Ok thanks.we hope is all ok

Martellone

Italy
Keep us posted.
Hopefully he'll act more like himself when Summer gets here
Unfortunatly he dosen't eat anything for 6 days and yesterday i give him pellet of tortoise food. I see in the mouth that it is brown/necrotic at the internal edges. I think the stomatitis, mouth rot?!, has started again. Now the only thing that eat are pellets. For a period to support him i will feed him with those mixed with good food. But he is smart and look for pellets among the food and eats only those!

Yesterday we had 29°c degrees and he walk a lot on balcony.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Unfortunatly he dosen't eat anything for 6 days and yesterday i give him pellet of tortoise food. I see in the mouth that it is brown/necrotic at the internal edges. I think the stomatitis, mouth rot?!, has started again. Now the only thing that eat are pellets. For a period to support him i will feed him with those mixed with good food. But he is smart and look for pellets among the food and eats only those!

Yesterday we had 29°c degrees and he walk a lot on balcony.
You can try to wet pellets, make a mush with a fork and mix it with other foods (or even use a food processor).

At 29C make sure he has some hide or shade as under direct sunlight he may overheat. A soaking dish and a humid hide would be perfect.

If it's possible to make a photo of his mouth (probably, you will need two people to do that) - you can post it here, perhaps experienced members can confirm if it's mouth rot.

Martellone

Italy
You can try to wet pellets, make a mush with a fork and mix it with other foods (or even use a food processor).

At 29C make sure he has some hide or shade as under direct sunlight he may overheat. A soaking dish and a humid hide would be perfect.

If it's possible to make a photo of his mouth (probably, you will need two people to do that) - you can post it here, perhaps experienced members can confirm if it's mouth rot.
Yes, when temperature reached over 29°C it went into the shade of plants and pots.

Tonight when i get home i try to take a photo. If i offer a pellet he open a mouth and i can fast take a picture. I think is stomatitis because he suffer of that 2 month ago and was diagnosed by the vet. But when i started to write on this forum vet after visit say that he was recovered.

Martellone

Italy

Here some pictures. You can see the dry at the external of the mouth and the brown at the internal sides of the mouth.

Attachments

• 20240415_192150.jpg
    20240415_192150.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240415_192201.jpg
    20240415_192201.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240415_192215.jpg
    20240415_192215.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240415_192219.jpg
    20240415_192219.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I appreciate that it was previously treated by a vet. But it looks pretty normal to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
His tongue looks good and his eyes look clear.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I appreciate that it was previously treated by a vet. But it looks pretty normal to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
His tongue looks good and his eyes look clear.
I'm concerned about brown spots on the sides of the beak they don't look like a food stains to me.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
No

No is not food
I agree. And it doesn't look like a normal coloration either. You can make an appointment with vet again. Mild cases of mouth rot are treated with dilluted 1 to 30 Betadin (povidone-iodine), without antibiotics. However, mouth rot is not very common and this can be something else, that's why I've asked for help from more experinced members.