Red Footed Tortoise Help!

Hannah Duncan

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Leonard Wood,MO
On Sunday my family and I bought a Red footed Tortoise. Not sure age or sex but we bought him everything we thought he needed. Later we realized humidity and heat were a huge part of his climate control. I bought him a heat pad and a thermometer to keep an eye on these things. A day later after moving him and getting the humidity and temp under control my poor Billabong still hasn't eaten since the day we got him, I have to take him to his water and all he does is sleep. I am growing very concerned!!!!! Can anyone help me or give me advice!! Please we love our little guy already and would be very sad to see him go!!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Can you tell us more about your enclosure? Open or closed? Size?

What are the temperatures and humidity?

What are you feeding?

Hannah Duncan

Fort Leonard Wood,MO
The enclosure is a 40 gallon tank with a full screen cover. I have wet paper towels over one side of the cover that are moist to create humidity. I have a red bulb for basking and a UVB light that we run for at least 12 hours a day. We use Eco Earth for the bedding and a corner of hay. I change out his feeding every morning, I have used lettuce, carrots, squash, strawberries, blueberries and protein from small dog kebble bits. The temp has been averaging 78-80 degrees and humidity staying at about 80%.

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
The enclosure is a 40 gallon tank with a full screen cover. I have wet paper towels over one side of the cover that are moist to create humidity. I have a red bulb for basking and a UVB light that we run for at least 12 hours a day. We use Eco Earth for the bedding and a corner of hay. I change out his feeding every morning, I have used lettuce, carrots, squash, strawberries, blueberries and protein from small dog kebble bits. The temp has been averaging 78-80 degrees and humidity staying at about 80%.
The care you're giving him seems somewhat the right idea, but I wouldn't say it's the best to give to your tortoise...
it's recommended to not let a tortoise live in a terrarium (it sounds like that's what you have..?). The glass walls of a terrarium stress out a tortoise, because the tortoise doesn't understand the concept of glass. It's best to block off the sides of the tank so he can't see through it, or perhaps building/buying a tortoise table. There are tons of easy ways and ideas on building a tortoise table for cheap. Make sure to do research on the enclosure measurements (LxWxH) to give your tortoise the proper amount of space it needs for his current or future size.
As for the lighting, I've read in reptile articles that using colored heat bulbs can affect the reptile by straining the eyes and interrupting its sleeping schedule. It's best to use a white-lighted heat bulb, or a heat bulb that doesn't emit light at all. As for your UVB, it seems just fine, just don't run it during dark hours of the day. Your humidity and temperatures are fine as well.
The diet of your tortoise doesn't seem too bad, but you shouldn't feed it protein too often. If you plan on having your tortoise indoors more than outdoors, you can feed him a source of protein such as a pinky mice or a small handful of earth worms every 4 weeks. And if he's not eating the food you're offering, you can maybe change up the menu to intrigue him/her into eating, just be sure to check the amounts of each food group you're giving it and see if the food is tortoise safe. The diet I have for my redfoots is 60% grass/greens/veggies, 30% fruit, and 10% or less of protein.
If you change your tortoises enclosure, diet, or lighting and he's still not eating, it could be simply because he hasn't adjusted to his new home just yet. Make sure to give him space and not crowd him or his enclosure to prevent stress. If anything seems to not work or progress to get worse, you should take him to a herp vet as soon as you can.
I hope this helped you out. I hope your tortoise will be okay :,^)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
A few suggestions, swap your red basking light for a CHE (ceramic heat emmitter), get your temps up to 80/86f throughout the enclosure and change the hay for moist spaghnum moss.
Just lettuce for greens is not good. You need to vary the diet a bit more. Weeds and flowers are best.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
....Also, what type uvb "bulb are you using?
I have used glass terrariums for very small Redfoot with no issues. But covering of the sides will help if you find that you do have a problem.
The red bulb must go because it makes everything look red. That color is hardwired into a tortoise brain saying red things are good food. Resulting in things being eaten...like substrate, plastic, etc.