Red Footed Tortoise

linda pitts

Location (City and/or State)
Hartselle, Alabama
Hello,
My name is Linda and I live in north Alabama close to Huntsville Al. I have owned a (female I think & I will refer to as her) for 8 years and she was named “Kermit” by my grandson. Kermit is amazing and very friendly. She , I was told by the pet store, that she was raised to be a pet and she is. My youngest grandson is allergic to animals with fur so tortoises make great pets for him. He has made several you tube posts about Kermit.
My question is, where can you buy red footed tortoise from a reputable breeder? My grandson tells us all the time, Kermit needs a wife/husband.
Thank you for any replies and I look forward to being a part of the tort world.

Love my Kermit
Linda

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tell your grandson that tortoises are loners. If you add another tortoise into Kermit's territory there will be fighting. Tortoises don't do well with strangers coming into their territory.

linda pitts

Hartselle, Alabama
Dear Yvonne & Wellington,
Thank you for your replies. Y’all gave me information I did not know about. We added a Russian tortoise, named suga, in with Kermit (red footed tort) about 6 months to a year after we got Kermit and they were fine together for 7 years. Unfortunately my Russian Tortoise passed away last year.
Not to sound stupid, but how do they reproduce?
I feel like Kermit gets lonely. Any information would be appreciated.
Linda for Kermit