Red legged tortoise all settled in :)

jennam1767

I would just like to show the difference I have made to this boys life in 24hours!

When I got him he had had no meat no veg or calcium in month he lived in a filthy table! Which when dropped of the bulb had been broken 72 hrs!!

24 hrs later I've learned so much! I've cried a little thinking I'd taken to much on and has cost me a small fortune but I think I've done well! He has a new Arcadia bulb, new soil and a new heat mat for night time as he has never had heat at night :) and he's eaten loads and the sneezing has stop!

If I've missed anything please let me know just want what's best for this little guy :) xImageUploadedByTortForum1389131260.067433.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389131283.061972.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389131305.366590.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389131332.838298.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389131358.485146.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389131386.800098.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

alipug

5 Year Member
jennam1767 said:
I would just like to show the difference I have made to this boys life in 24hours!

When I got him he had had no meat no veg or calcium in month he lived in a filthy table! Which when dropped of the bulb had been broken 72 hrs!!

24 hrs later I've learned so much! I've cried a little thinking I'd taken to much on and has cost me a small fortune but I think I've done well! He has a new Arcadia bulb, new soil and a new heat mat for night time as he has never had heat at night :) and he's eaten loads and the sneezing has stop!

If I've missed anything please let me know just want what's best for this little guy :) x
Well done

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do like the new way of his life much better. The only thing I can add, is the humidity. They should have a higher humidity to stay growing smooth. Also some plants for decorations would be nice for his to feel more secure and if you get live ones, will help with humidity and he could eat them too. A good site for Red Foot owners it the tortoise library. http://tortoiselibrary.com. It's a site of one our members.

jennam1767

Thanks guys :D so made up with how he's came on! I have been spraying him but will look into plants for him on Friday when paid again(totally skinned me just now) thanks appreciate any advice possible x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maybe some moist sphagnum moss inside the hiding area to help him stay more humid.

jennam1767

Yvonne G said:
Maybe some moist sphagnum moss inside the hiding area to help him stay more humid.

Thanks Yvonne will look into that I'm in Scotland so don't know how easy things will be to get but will get him something

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
A couple suggestions:
1. I bury my water bowls so they are level (or close to it) with the substrate. This is more natural and makes it easier to access for the tortoise.

2. I agree the tortoise needs more humidity. Fully enclosed habitats can really help acheive this. Links in my signature (below) may be helpful.

jennam1767

Redstrike said:
A couple suggestions:
1. I bury my water bowls so they are level (or close to it) with the substrate. This is more natural and makes it easier to access for the tortoise.

2. I agree the tortoise needs more humidity. Fully enclosed habitats can really help acheive this. Links in my signature (below) may be helpful.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1389379306.687679.jpg

Already changed a few things thanks but as for burying the water bowl I'm gonna leave that as I change his water 3/4 times a day so that would be a pain thanks tho

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
jennam1767 said:
Redstrike said:
A couple suggestions:

Already changed a few things thanks but as for burying the water bowl I'm gonna leave that as I change his water 3/4 times a day so that would be a pain thanks tho

Very nice. Now is Home, Sweet home.

jennam1767

bouaboua said:
jennam1767 said:
Redstrike said:
A couple suggestions:

Very nice. Now is Home, Sweet home.

Thanks he's much happier now :D x

HollyAbigail

jennam1767 said:

If I've missed anything please let me know just want what's best for this little guy :) x

Looks amazing:) what are you feeding him now?:)

jvaldes55

5 Year Member
South Florida
Your Improvements look really great, I bet he really loves them too! I love Red Footed tortoises :)

jennam1767

HollyAbigail said:
jennam1767 said:

Looks amazing:) what are you feeding him now?:)

Hey he gets a fresh fruit salad and some lettuce every day and 2 prawns 1 month and an egg the next :D x

jvaldes55 said:
Your Improvements look really great, I bet he really loves them too! I love Red Footed tortoises :)

Thanks yes he is much happier and healthier :D x