Red light for nighttime

Status
Not open for further replies.

erica anne

5 Year Member
Okay, so I got my tortoise a red heat lamp for night time so he doesn't get to cold or sick from the substrate being wet in his enclosure at night. Also to provide humidity. But he keeps leaving his hut and going over to the place where he will sit and wait to be picked up which he never does. Do you think he just isn't used to the light yet and has to get used to it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They really should have it dark at night, like in the natural wilds. Get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) heat no light. Have you read Toms threads below in my post? Great for raising a smooth sully. Temps 80 day and night, humidity 80 and basking 100.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
I used a red heat lamp at night for a little while for my hatchling, but after being on here for a little bit, I learned that it isnt good because it isnt natural for them. I recently put in a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) which is all heat and no light. It is perfect for them! I use a 100W one to keep the 20 gallon tank at a consistant 80 degrees at night. I am very happy with the switch and I am sure you would be too! :)

erica anne

5 Year Member
Okay, I will return it, that's REALLY good to know. I looked in amazon and it was about $17. Does that sound like the right price?

Urtle

5 Year Member
The prices vary, I buy mine from a local pet store because I don't like waiting :) They sell 100 watt CHE's for around $26-27 while the 150 watts go for less $19-21. Usually petco and petsmart dont carry them so no use checking there but if your planning on ordering it online $17 seems reasonable.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
Urtle said:
The prices vary, I buy mine from a local pet store because I don't like waiting :) They sell 100 watt CHE's for around $26-27 while the 150 watts go for less $19-21. Usually petco and petsmart dont carry them so no use checking there but if your planning on ordering it online $17 seems reasonable.

I actually purcashed mine from petco down the street from me. Im sure all the stores are different depending on location, but if you have one close to you I would call first and see if they carry them :). Im not sure what size enclosure you have, but dont be afraid to get a 100w or 150w because you will probably need it! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Petco and petsmart both carry the CHE and the mvb. They all vary depending on the person doing the ordering for each store. However, on ,online is usually cheaper

knighterson

5 Year Member
The Petco and petsmart near me carry both as well. But in my area anyway, amazon is nearly half the price. My Petco has them for $35-45, depending on wattage. I bought my 150 w CHE on amazon for about $20. I bought my MVB at a reptile store for around $45, which is what amazon usually is, but it's almost $70 at my local Petco.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use both red and black night heat bulbs....torts do just fine :D The CHE are a good tool to keep heat as well....they all work.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I use a CHE with the temp prob in my humid hide set to 80. I don't want to take chances in it ever ring too cold in there with all the humidity. I feel it's very important to have as dark at night as possible to try and mimic the real world. I use a 150 watt that I picked up in eBay for something in the neighborhood of $15 US dollars. Daytime, it rarely comes on due to the heat received from my MVB, but should it be needed, it's ready. With red/black night lights in use, they would be turning on and off with the temp changes and this could lead to an odd day/night cycle for your tort. Hope this helps.

Ryuu2713

5 Year Member
I use a 100 watt red light for my red footed tortoise. I used to use these night bulbs that emit very little light, but they kept burning out on me. It doesn't seem to effect him much, he sleeps through the night and gets up in the morning to bathe, but he spends most of his time hiding anyway, usually just peeking his head out.

Status
Not open for further replies.