Red marks on Hermanns shell?

MaisieK

Hi guys,
Hopefully you can help me, I was bathing my tortoise today and noticed some red discoloration to her plastron, its not soft or damp. Could it be shell rot? Here are some pictures as well.

Thanks for your help!
HerbiesShell2.jpg HerbiesShell.jpg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, we will have to wait for someone mor exsperienced to come along but a bit of warning. Red spots on the shell can be a sign of septicemia which is a blood systemic infection. To be on the safe side, I would take him to the vet and have blood work done.

CathyNed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mayo, Ireland
It may be a good idea to take him to the vet as Cheryl has suggested as red spots can be a sign of septicemia.

Just out of interest have these red spots only rcently appeared? what type of substrate do you use in his enclosure? Has it been changed recently? Sometimes woodchip like reptibark are dyed and im wondering if the discolouration may be from dye in the substrate?

MaisieK

Hi guys, I really hope it's not septicemia! The spots have only appeared recently, and her substrate isn't dyed I use a mix of topsoil and play sand and that hasn't been changed recently either
Thanks again for your help!

Kori5

My tortoise had the same thing last autumn and we took him to the vet. Everything was normal and it went away. They looked like yours (not as pink though) , I could even see the small blood vesesels. However, yours do seem a little too visible so a trip to a vet should be in order.

MaisieK

Hmm, looks like a trip to the vets then! She's still eating and running around so hopefully it's nothing serious. Thanks for helping