Red underside!!

Rafaela1

Location (City and/or State)
York
Hi I am a bit concerned picked up tortoise to day to find lots of red marks on her underside. She is alert and eating fine. Growing rapidly under uvb/heat lamp in her indoor winter enclosure. Should I be concerned? Please see pics
Thank you in advance

2161BC90-C819-4F8D-A144-35509A718EA1.jpeg 370CF696-3FD3-4096-890E-84CA420D3DFD.jpeg

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Sometimes when they are r d like this , on the bottom, it could mean cepsis. Not saying that’s what you have but, I would be concerned. If it is ,it could be deadly. Maybe you should have it checked by a good reptile vet that understands torts. Just a thought. Maybe some else from here can give you better advice.

Bambam1989

East Texas
The answer to a few questions can help us narrow down what the cause is.
Do you use a heating pad?
Do you let your tort wander the floor of you house?
Do you have any other pets- dog, cat, ferret that may have been in contact with the tort.
What are you using for substrate?

Rafaela1

York
We have a cat but never bothers with tortoise. She is box with coconut coir the block form you add water too. Changed two days ago and didn’t notice anything then. Don’t let her crawl around the house as have children but they know not to touch her. Only other place I have put her is in shower enclosure whitest I change the bedding!
Unfortunately don’t know good reptile vet took her to one last year and they had no idea about tortoise

Kasia

Poland
Hi I am a bit concerned picked up tortoise to day to find lots of red marks on her underside. She is alert and eating fine. Growing rapidly under uvb/heat lamp in her indoor winter enclosure. Should I be concerned? Please see pics
Thank you in advance

View attachment 225291 View attachment 225292
Vet ASAP that is sepsis. Please take her/him in to a experienced Vet.

Bambam1989

East Texas
We have a cat but never bothers with tortoise. She is box with coconut coir the block form you add water too. Changed two days ago and didn’t notice anything then. Don’t let her crawl around the house as have children but they know not to touch her. Only other place I have put her is in shower enclosure whitest I change the bedding!
Unfortunately don’t know good reptile vet took her to one last year and they had no idea about tortoise
If you are able to rule out any cause from an exterior injury(animal, enclosure, or chemical exposure such as a cleaning products) then it is likely sepsis (septicemia) and should see a vet.

Rhea

Missouri
My Russian also has started to get that. She perfectly normal also. I’m thinking it’s the substrate color giving off because I just changed her substrate. I too used bricks this time and I noticed the red color right after that. Also the clay soaking dish may give off too. Pottery sometimes can bleed and give off color. You can see it starting. She’s growing too like a weed. She’s show no signs of illness.

Attachments

• BF6DE133-9B4D-4AB7-94FD-E7C7F05DD468.jpeg
    BF6DE133-9B4D-4AB7-94FD-E7C7F05DD468.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Rafaela1

York
Tortoise update
Took her to the vet yesterday. He couldn’t rule out sepsis so has given a course of antibiotics, but said she looked really fit and healthy. Eating and pooping well! Still not sure of cause but fingers crossed the antibiotics will get rid of anything nasty as there are also a few red marks on her shell.
Anyway wanted to say a massive thank you for your help and support xx

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Tortoise update
Took her to the vet yesterday. He couldn’t rule out sepsis so has given a course of antibiotics, but said she looked really fit and healthy. Eating and pooping well! Still not sure of cause but fingers crossed the antibiotics will get rid of anything nasty as there are also a few red marks on her shell.
Anyway wanted to say a massive thank you for your help and support xx
I hope everything works out well. Keep us updated.