Red worms + roly polies?

ACitro

Location (City and/or State)
WA
We're thinking of setting up a soil substrate for our Russian Tortoise and I'm wondering -- has anyone added red worms and/or roly polies to their tortoise bin to break down waste? It seems like a cool idea but I don't know if those would interfere with the tortoise at all....

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
We're thinking of setting up a soil substrate for our Russian Tortoise and I'm wondering -- has anyone added red worms and/or roly polies to their tortoise bin to break down waste? It seems like a cool idea but I don't know if those would interfere with the tortoise at all....
Yes I have. It's referred to as "Bioactive substrate" I've got a couple different isopods and red worms in my substrate.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Yep! Whenever I spot a stray roly poly, he gets donated to the tortoise table! Set some stray pieces of wood on the ground as traps. Then whenever you turn them over there is a red worm/ roly poly refill.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I ordered some roly-polies on Ebay (it was winter) and split the order among my four tortoise enclosures... they've thrived in each of the enclosures, although a bit less in the Russian's as it's less humid and a bit less of a varied diet than my forest tortoises enjoy.

Jamie