Redfoot diet tips(wanting ideas for variety and schedule)

vargasmelissa

5 Year Member
Alrighty,

So first off some information

Donatello 11yr old female(recently discovered we have had her since she was 4 and many vets agreed that she was a boy) in a 4ft x 6ft indoor enclosure(we rent outdoor not an option) Veterinarian says is in good health and condition :)

Schedule- feed daily(should move to every other day since older?? vet said that she isn't fat and overall in great health sees them about 1x a year for regular check up)
Diet- varies in what she actually gets but mostly consists of the following
Fruit- blackberries blueberries raspberries mango figs(when available) bananas, occasionally- nectarines peaches pairs apples grapes watermelon
Veggies- sweet peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, occasionally- carrots(she's not the biggest fan) pumpkin, green beans,
Lettuces- red leaf, green leaf, arugula, radicchio (lettuces found in spring mixes I buy the ones without spinach) turnip greens, mustard greens occasionally- kale, spinach, and dandelion greens(when available)
additionally- mazuri diet the regular tortoise diet not the LS, zoo-med dried flower topper, and flukers tortoise diet occasionally
Supplements- calcium powder and multivitamin (occasionally vet recommended as the diets above have calcium and ect)

So what I am looking for is I would like to add more variety into her diet
I am up for growing my own grasses or something
I am working on adding some edible plants to her enclosure pansies aloe, jade ect
She is a great eater and even often "begs"
I am hoping to someday own a house(if the market gets better... sigh) and have an outdoor enclosure

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Alrighty,

Donatello 11yr old female(recently discovered we have had her since she was 4 and many vets agreed that she was a boy) in a 4ft x 6ft indoor enclosure(we rent outdoor not an option) Veterinarian says is in good health and condition :)

Schedule- feed daily(should move to every other day since older?? vet said that she isn't fat and overall in great health sees them about 1x a year for regular check up)
Fruit- blackberries blueberries raspberries mango figs(when available) bananas, occasionally- nectarines peaches pairs apples grapes watermelon
Veggies- sweet peppers, yellow squash, zucchini, occasionally- carrots(she's not the biggest fan) pumpkin, green beans,
Lettuces- red leaf, green leaf, arugula, radicchio (lettuces found in spring mixes I buy the ones without spinach) turnip greens, mustard greens occasionally- kale, spinach, and dandelion greens(when available)
additionally- mazuri diet the regular tortoise diet not the LS, zoo-med dried flower topper, and flukers tortoise diet occasionally
Supplements- calcium powder and multivitamin (occasionally vet recommended as the diets above have calcium and ect)

I am working on adding some edible plants to her enclosure pansies aloe, jade ect
I am hoping to someday own a house(if the market gets better... sigh) and have an outdoor enclosure
First off. That feeding menu sounds fantastic. Redfoot can eat things that would eventually kill other species.
Pretty much any fresh. Unprocessed food that you can eat she can eat. And you're correct about the fruit. They can process sugars and fruit is a favorite of theirs.
The only issue I see from that information is the size of that enclosure. It's about 50% the size that it should be for an adult RF.

vargasmelissa

5 Year Member
Alrighty,

I miss typed her enclosure is 8ft x 4ft it takes up almost the whole room

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also she should be fed every day, @ZEROPILOT am I correct on that for RF. I know every other species should be.
An adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot and they are much smaller then an adult RF. You do need to get her in a bigger enclosure. Give her the whole room if that's all you can do. Build her a portable out door enclosure that she can spend the day in and enclosure brought in each night, if you have any use of a yard. Build a second level on the enclosure she has now. She needs more space.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I feed my REDFOOT every day.
I don't use a feeding schedule. I just mix it up and offer as much variety each day as I have

Last edited:

vargasmelissa

5 Year Member
I unfortunately don't have a yard(we rent) So I am trying to do with what I got. Do have any ideas or suggestions on how to make a bigger enclosure I made the one I have out of pvc sheets