Redfoot keeps flipping over

Layla

10 Year Member!
My sweet little girl is 5 years old and in the last several months she's been flipping over about twice a week. Sometimes I come home and she's like that and I don't know how long she's been that way but has never been under a light when it happened.

I use "Forest Floor" substrate which is cypress. I keep it smooth to avoid her flipping, but I think it happens when she tries to climb out of her indoor pen. Since its cold out she doesn't get out much in the winter months. I let her out every night to walk around the house.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this? Also, even though Redfoots don't hibernate, she seems to be choosing to be in the cooler part of her pen and is not eating as much, is this normal? She's cold to the touch sometimes which freaks me out!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your enclosure maybe to small . Does it have glass sides ? If so cover them so she can't see out .

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
weird usually when they get bigger there's less of a flipping chance, you may need an enclosure upgrade to remove any 90 degree angles.. they usually "chimney" up the corners and flip.. it's a pretty serious problem as eventually they'll flip over under or on top of a heat source or a water dish.. good luck I hope it's an easy fix

Layla

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone for this advice. I do think its a case of the 90 degree angle, she wants to crawl out and be with us (or so it seems) so I will see what we can do to prevent that angle. I do let her out to walk around (or sit on my lap so I can scratch her head) almost every night while I watch TV.

I appreciate all the words of wisdom. Its been a tough year for me (lost my mom and my 27 year old son) my pets are my joy and Tortie is special because my son gave her to me :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post pictures of you Tortoise and enclosure . Then we can help you fix the problems .